When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Or Fake?

tvt

Could be... but I blew it up in PS and my eye says the 1 oclock side of it is touching the triangle and is the side that wouldn't have a shadow, so if the light is playing a trick it's actually overlapping the triangle if anything...

However on the backside I can make out a sliver of traingle... if it was touching on that side also there should be no way to see a sliver from any angle as it would be covered by the pearl holder...

I've been fooled before, but usually I am pretty good at spotting tiny details like that...

Edited by Devedander

Well I was going to play dumb but yes, in fact I do know and I am testing you... but do not assume the watch to be gen or fake just because I know. I have seen some gens called fakes and vice versa. I am really curious what people think of this one.

Rep.

The applied hour markers are too large & positioned too far from the seconds marker lines around the dial. The seconds line marks at the hour position have a bolder print on the gen to contrast the seconds. On this one, they are all the same.

The gen does not have the SeaNaster issue. It is clearly SeaMaster on the gen. The dial print of the photo is too bold. It is thinner and very sharp on the gen.

The Omega logo looks too rounded on this one plus the Omega & logo sits too low on the dial. If the 12'oclock marker were correctly positioned (higher on the dial), the logo would be too low.

The hands appear to be of the correct length and would cross the hour markers correctly if the applied markers were positioned closer to the seconds markers, as they should.

The bezel insert is misaligned, a common issue with reps & the metal pearl surround is a too thick.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Sorry, I forgot all about this thread,,, for those who guessed most of you did get it correct, it is in fact my fake 007 40th anniversay and indeed it is one of the few that were made about 2 years back.

Now some of the reasons people guessed it was fake seem a bit off to me.

The hands are dead on perfect to the original.

The gen DOES have metal surrounds around the hour markers... just like this one.

Bezel is not misaliagned though it may appear to be because of the angle of the photo or something, but it is not in person.

There is a slight SeaNaster issue I guess, though really slight.

I think the SIZE of the dots are the biggest give sway that it is fake... but that is SO slight as to be almost meaningless. In this age of "1:1 reps" and all of that I think it is interesting that one of the best ever made is over 2 years old.

I should shoot it again just straight on instead of at the angle I shot it previously.