When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Re-Lume Vintage Speedmaster?

jbg44

Hi Guys,

I realize there is no right answer to this question, yet I am curious what other watch lover's opinions would be:

I am considering re-luming my gen vintage Omega Speedmaster Mark 4.5. I am, however, worried that it will take away from the vintage vibe. What are your thoughts?

It's a tough question.  Everyone has a different opinion, but I had the same predicament.  I did not relume mine because I wanted to, I did it because I had to.  The previous (and only) owner had had it done and it was TERRIBLE.  I lived with it for 10-15 years like that and finally couldn't stand it anymore. 

So about 7 years ago I contacted Ziggy and asked him to do his magic.  He did a spectacular job.  I asked him to make the color look like a gen would after 50 years of use, and to use zero glow in the lume (or as little as possible).  I had him do the hands too.  Note, he's retired from watchmaking now.  And you want to find someone VERY GOOD to do this.

Yes, it is now relumed and that hurts its purist collector value.  But before, it was trashed anyway.  So I decided to just make it look better for my own reasons.

I hope this helps.

bond_sub2.jpg

sub_gilt.jpg

Ive recently had work done by a couple guys here.  It's not appropriate for me to give an opinion (conflict of interest) so you'll have to do some research and see what other people think.

• 1 month later...

In the vintage Rolex world reluming is a dirty word, so for my gen 1675 I went with a service dial which is gen Rolex, but super luminova. If my gen Speedy needed to be relumed, I think that I would do it.....I did it with my MBK 5513 and I couldn't be happier! Pm me and I will tell you who did it!!