When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Portuguese Chrono 3714 V3

van_damme1988

I was derping around the TD's to find out what is new, when suddenly..... IWC Portuguese Chrono V3 (3714-47) ! I missed the V2 though... To be honest, i saw a grey dial 3714 that tried to act like a V2 but was terrible. And now we have a V3:

http://timeshops.net/product.php?id_product=13863

The only updates I see is the new crown, whilst completely off (Probus Scafusia logo on the crown is really bad), brushed caseback (looks ok to me), and the new tachy ring, looks that shape seems to be ok, but white markers should have been longer and "touch" the dial. And when you look at the specs, i still do not understand what do they mean by "English flag". And gentleman, behold! It houses :inverted: CAREFULLY SELECTED 7750 MOVEMENT. QUALITY HAS IMPROVED THAN BEFORE. :inverted:

I have always been in love with 3714, but it looks like the sec@6 problem can be solved only by the three jewel mod currently offered by domi, but mike stated somewhere that he is working on his own solution as well, or by swaping rep movement for gen.

Overall nice rep, but V3 really? :fool: Gen dial with the new style 4 and cut off 6 is simply beatiful. And sourcing gen parts for franken is nowadays almost impossible and when you are lucky, movement 600-750 EUR, gen dial 150 EUR (old style, used)-350 EUR (new style, impossible to find), crown 100-150 EUR and you have to shorten chrono pushers, duble AR the crystal (stock single looks just too cheap) and the last gen tachy ring for sale has been seen like 3 years ago. And if you are lucky, you are somewhere at 1500 EUR with stock rep strap (gen strap add 180-350 EUR).

I love the 3714's style, and would buy it as a gen if i had funds, but as a rep or franken project, it ain't deal maker for me. At the franken price I will rather add 700 EUR  and buy new Omega Aqua Terra Golf edition with Co-Axial movement and transparent caseback...(saw used for 2200 EUR and missed the sale.... AD's are selling these here in Slovakia for 3500-4050 EUR) :frusty:

That would be very helpful. :) Basicaly V1 was released few years ago and the obvious flaw was polished caseback, whilst gen should have it brushed. Also AR on the crystal was missing and the inner tachy ring was of bad shape and the crown featured water resistance mark (fisk) just like the early gen versions. V2 was aired few months ago but i have seen only grey version. V2 had all these updates. I was little bit ironic in my post, as i think that V2 and V3 is the same. I do not see any difference. So if you have some of these, pics would help. I am not 3714 expert though, so other maybe other more experienced guys (i.e. concepta) will add their 0.02c. :)

Mine definitely is version 1.  The crown has a fish symbol and the caseback is polished.  I put photos and a review into another thread. Storm, if the new one has the AR coating I would go for it if you can live with the small seconds hand issue.  As posted above, I would assume it's not sorted out even for the newest version to be safe but that's just how I would think about it.  For me it would be worth it anyway to get the look.  But then if this Ver 1 fails in a few months I guess I'll be singing a different tune ha ha.  I paid about the same $ for a new Bulova chronograph years back and it failed within a year.  I was [censored] that a new watch wouldn't last (quartz movement no less).  So I guess my expectations for a rep are lower.  Thanks!

Edited by VinnyJones

VD1988 what do you think is wrong with it ?

The crown deffinitely is newer, but the line bordering IWC script which looks like rugby ball seems to be beveled under W. The line is not continuous. Also the Probus Scafusia script - font is slightly bigger and wider than it should be, which results that the circle comming from I to C is too flat. But maybe it is just me who sees it. Overall the new crown deffinitely is an improvement and is still better than the old water resistance fish. And update to inner tachy ring - seems to be the same as on the previous versions, so no improvement here.

post-40168-0-00260000-1377426191_thumb.j

post-40168-0-35395200-1377426172_thumb.j

Edited by van_damme1988

Still a 7750, dont care who and how it was 'selected'. And the clasp is a pilot's clasp not a portuguese's.

Whatcha talkin bout Willis

iwc13863-iwc-portuguese-v2-black-ss-calf

$(KGrHqIOKp0FIF4J-n!+BSHRfTn7KQ~~60_57.J

I aint seeing too much to be moaning about on the clasp front , and many of us are not that bothered by the little details that only we see. 

I think one of the very good things is that TS seems to offer a 1 Year guarantee .  

As long as those movements last only one year unmodded - depends. I would say no, unless tou want to add few jewels or go gen with movement. But if you want to wear it occasionaly, not on a daily basis, it should survive for a while. I am still waiting for some updates from people who asked domi to make his three jewel mod, if this only makes the movement more reliable or solves sec@6 problem. But nobody with three jewel mod seems to wear 3714 on a daily basis.

No, not directly. I had a 3717 with a rep clasp myself. I found the build quality and finish not that good in my opinion. The construction was rather wobbly...
Interesting....My experience has been quite the opposite and I think the rep clasps are great, at least the 4 I have.I am wondering if you got one from a different maker or perhaps from a bad batch. I do find that the finish on the Gen clasp is cleaner and more polished, but it only really noticeable under a loupe. Luckily mine have no wobble and lock securely.

So, do you guys think it's worth the gamble to buy TS Watch's updated Porto with 1 year warranty?
Rek- as for whether you should take the gamble, I think that you are the only one that can really answer that question. If you buy the watch, you know that you are buying a watch that will most likely fail at some point. How will you feel when it fails? If it fails within the first year, what does TS's guarantee cover? I am guessing that you will still have to deal with the expense and hassle of sending the watch back to TS and then waiting several months for repair.If it dies after 1 year, will you be comfortable with just accepting the loss? Will you want to try to sell it at a loss for part? Or would you be happy to paying to have it serviced or maybe trying to build a Franken out of it?These are questions that only you can answer. Edited by jamesfl