When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Service Issue - Need Advice!

jbg44

I recently received my PAM 104 franken back from a watchsmith.  It looks/runs great EXCEPT there is a new, down-to-the-metal 0.4mm scratch on the gen dial.  I am still a nooby to RWG so I want to proceed according to protocol.  At this point, I have sent a single, polite PM to the watchsmith and am awaiting a reply.  My question for you guys is:  how does this normally go and what can I expect?  Thanks for any insight!

post-55289-0-83617300-1377882107_thumb.j

At this point, I rather not give out the name of the watchmaker -- I'm afraid it might make him think I'm hostile and put him on the defensive.  I will say that this watchmaker has been the object of some discussion as of late.

Are you sure it's a scratch? It may be a fibre or hair of some sort stuck between the case and dial

I'm not 100% positive what it is -- I hope it isn't a scratch, but that's my best guess at this point.

I suppose am just wondering what the most probable path forward is.  I can see a few different scenarios:

1) Watchmaker offers to repair at no cost

2) Watchmaker offers some cash back

3) Watchmaker either disputes my claim or never responds

4) I just decide to live with it and move on with my life

What typically goes down?  If members typically choose option #4, then I am willing to go that route.  Like I said, I'm new and not looking to make any enemies.

A hair would bother me too, I don't think he scratched it, it's a typical place for a fibre to wedge itself, it prob happened when he placed the dial/movement back in the case, it happens to me sometimes with my watchmaker. He takes care of it for free as yours will do, it's basically up to you, pay for it to be sent back or go find a local watchsmith in your area who can remove that fibre in a few minutes while you wait