When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ola Fitness Buffs!

hiker01

Anyone into HIIT? Any recommendations? A trainer suggested me doing it to increase my chances of making it to Mt. Everest next year (as you may all know, I was halfway last year).

Also what's the best heart rate monitor for under a $100 bucks!

Help help~! 

Thanks guys!

I go thru phases where i incorporate HIIT. Climbing mountains is very different to getting conditioned for boxing. Being my thing.

HIIT is easy to incorporate into your existing training. All your doing is including a high intensity period to elevate your heart and then a period to lower it back and back up again.

The high intensity should really be challenging for a period of 20-30 second burst.

I have a basic Polar HRT.

Masmannan

• 3 weeks later...

I try to mix in hit on my elliptical, 15-20 seconds high intensity, 1.15-1.30 minutes at regular speed.  Around 11-15 mins of duration, anything longer than that, and you are probably doing it wrong.  Normal regiment includes a hybrid P90x with TapOut XT.  It is becoming more difficult to stay fit in my old age.  Good luck with your training!

Got me a Polar Ft7 and now on my 4th week of HIIT. Never felt better. Here's my routine 3x a week:

5 min warm up

20 min 40/20 sec HIIT to between 85-90 Max HR (mine is 162 according to the standards) 3 diff exercises

2 min break

20 min 40/20 sec HIIT  (another 3 different exercises) 

all exercises hit upper/lower body

5 min cool down

thats it.

I lift heavy 2x/week - upper/lower body - walk 4 miles post (can't run anymore)

also walk 4-5 miles on 2 days of no HIIT and Lift

So far so good!

• Like 2

It's pretty hard to beat offroad mountain biking, when you get off the main trails into the tough singletrack. You'll be standing up pedaling most of the time with hard climbing bursts, and it works your core, upper and lower body. Plus added sprints when you smell a bear! :tu:

• Like 1

It's pretty hard to beat offroad mountain biking, when you get off the main trails into the tough singletrack. You'll be standing up pedaling most of the time with hard climbing bursts, and it works your core, upper and lower body. Plus added sprints when you smell a bear! :tu:

Add to that the beauty of Nature + Fresh Air......best workout ever!

I agree on the crossift. Great for building strength and increase your cardiovascular endurance.

Personally i find that these exercices work well:

- Rowing machine.

- HIT swimming sessions (butterfly or freestyle)

- Overhead presses on a medium weight, high reps.

- high rep squats. I would do lot's of front squats to develop your quads.

• 1 year later...

1. Hi all,

something I posted on another site,

Guys please don't be fooled, there is no easy healthy way I have over twenty years experience. (one warm up set and the next to failure, 12-15 reps, (except squats)

20 x Squats, Bench press, medium grip lat pulleys to the front, standing military press, barbel curls, tricep push downs on pulley, calf rises and finally wrist curls, Finished!

3 steps is all you need!

1, Hit the GYM 3 x times a week, full body work out with compound movements no more than 1 hour per session.

2. Up you protein intake no need for protein shake at this level just good protein sources (Eggs, Chicken, Fish, lean mince beef etc.) Cut out fats and simple carbs. Pasta, Potatoes, Bread etc.

3. Stick to it for three months and sleep well!

M