When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Submariner crystal above bezel

dan_189

Ive looked... nothing that shows a D serial specifically. It must vary through the years. There are pictures but none that show how high the crystal is because it looks different from each angle.

The reason I ask is that the bezel on my all gen (with a Sean case) rotates without a tension ring inside it but it raises the crystal a fair bit. Not sure whats correct! Sitting flush and not rotating or sitting higher and rotating.

I think the retaining ring is aftermarket.

These are the only reference pics I have.

Is the crystal on mine (bottom pic) too high??

post-45913-0-28522400-1378273615_thumb.p

post-45913-0-50749200-1378273617_thumb.p

post-45913-0-22492400-1378273801_thumb.j

Yes, your crystal looks a tad high. But as you indicated, w/ an aftermarket crystal retaining ring and no tension ring, you can't really call it all gen construction.

Your bezel doesn't look as nice as the two gen examples above it either. It looks slightly taller.

Also, which gasket did you use? A Rolex sub uses the #2 gasket as in 295-C2.

On both my Euromariner (MBW) and my 16800 franken w/ the ST3035 case I wrestled with the bezel assemblies, buying various parts and sanding, etc. until the parts finally fit and the watches were WR.

BTW, you realize that the bezel assembly on the 16800, 168000 and the 16610 are all the same- nothing has changed since 1980- they all use the exact same parts- crystal, retention ring, tension spring, click spring and bezel.

Bezel inserts are still the same part # with variations for the last 2-3 digits, and do vary in fonts- especially in the 4 in 40- but that's another discussion.

You might keep trying to swap in different parts, or you could just go on and enjoy the watch- esp. if it's WR.

I have measured some gen crystals versus say Clark's and TCs and the thickness from the gens as I have found varies from 2.21mm to 2.18. With a gasket of 2.73mm I was able to get the right height. Patience is key. If you have a TC crystal(I think TC sells his at 1.8mm ) and a 3mm you'll be too high. Yours looks a tad too high, but not ridiculous. Water resistance is more important

So gen crystal heights vary? Or did I read that wrong?

I have measured some gen crystals versus say Clark's and TCs and the thickness from the gens as I have found varies from 2.21mm to 2.18. With a gasket of 2.73mm I was able to get the right height. Patience is key. If you have a TC crystal(I think TC sells his at 1.8mm ) and a 3mm you'll be too high. Yours looks a tad too high, but not ridiculous. Water resistance is more important