When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

why gen navitimer breitling parts so hard to source?

db1

Hi mates,

Well I'm searching the web for a while, and i've noticed that it's kind of tough to get gen parts for breitling navitimers on the open market.

I could find a few gen dials here and there, maybe a crown, but I haven't seen anything like a gen sliderule, or date wheel, movement, hand set etc up for sale anywhere,

on the other hand - there are a plenty of gen parts for many other breitling models available on the bay (sometimes i've seen gen cases, complete movement+dial+hands etc,, but never of a navitimer)

are gen navi parts so hard to source ?

any input will be appreciated.

thanks,

Db1

It may help to also search Sinn parts...

In the late eighties Breitling went bust and Sinn bought several designs from them inluding teh 850s etc... thats why you see Sinn Navitimer models for sale... now some of those early parts Sinn used are the exact same...

In addition it all depends where you look mate... I assume you have done the usual places but have you looked on the gen forums plus Chrono... many smaller gen  general watch forums have parts for sale ..

Plus another tip if looking on the bay is to go to specific ebay's like ebay.de, ebay.fr or ebay asia....then search only the term Breitling as the rest will be in that ebay's language...you will find many parts for watches you wouldnt normally find on ebay.com etc but you must go on that ebay site...not just use the ebay.com search

Other than that its down to patience and choosing a suitable watch model to franken.... there are also guys you get to know around the place that can source ...for example if you see a seller that sells Breitling parts regularly then you need to contact him direct and ask if he has or can source and generally when he gets those parts he will contact you direct...

Its all about networking mate..and time

In addition you need to understand what you can do with what you have got and how it can be adapted or what parts might be comaptible with the model you are after parts for...just looking for Navitimer is not always the best way...for example there may be crossover parts with other models... its the same with movements... you can find movements from your choosen model in many other non related models...which generally are cheaper

And dont get caught up in using the term Tri-Compax mate..... techinically it doesnt mean what you think...its been bastardised over time but it was a term created by Universal Geneve and relates to a set of complications on thier watch..which was a moon phase calender etc...their first model was a compax which still had a 3.6,9 subdial arrangement...

Its a bit like the way guys say deployment instead of deployant...meanings change but not all watch guys use it..  so when asking you may not get teh response or understanding you expect as to many watch guys Tri-Compax means something completely different...(both technically and historically)

Its just a 7750 (7754) with a 3,6,9, ....

Thank you pete, so much invaluable information in your reply. I guess it's all about networking and digging deeper to find the rare parts.

I'm looking for a gen slide rule and hand set for a navi.

Already have a gen dial, on the look for a 7753 (they are so expensive so I just have to look for a good deal).

I have a v2 (so I believe?) navi rep which I may want to transform into a franken navi.

The gen dial (after shaved a little) and the gen movement should be a snag fit so i've heard - not sure about a gen slide rule but seems legit.

Db1 :)