When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What do I do with this Gen 16200 case I just found?

EMM

About 4 years ago I bought a franken DJ on the forums for my wife.  According to the seller it it a franken datejust with gen 16200 case, gen crystal, gen crown, gen tube, gen bezel, and gen caseback. Basically the entire case is gen. The movement is a tissot stamped eta 2824-2. The dw overlay and hands are wm9. The dial is rep and the bracelet is aftermarket."

So, fast forward 4 years - I was moving a dresser in my wife's closet, and rigth after I moved I looked down and there it was sitting underneath.  She and I had forgotten all about it.  

Then I looked at it, and I remembered all the problems that kept her from ever wearing it 4 years ago.

First, the hands are just bent all to s***.  They actually touched each other.  I untangled them enough to get it to run, but they're still not in very good shape, to put it mildly.

Second, the dial is jacked.  It's not connected to the movement at all - it will spin around if you decase it with the movement.  I think the hands are the only thing holding it in place.  Next, it's too small - someone filed down the edge of it and now it flops around in the case unless the movement holders press it down hard (which may be how the hands got so thrashed).  Finally, part of the dial text was worn away by the hour hand sitting too close to the dial.

Third, the case back gasket is just not there.  So it's not even pretending to be water resistant.

Fourth, the case is pretty "vintaged," with scuffs and dings throughout.  

Last, but most important to my wife, the bracelet, case, and bezel were really just nasty- all covered in gooey, sticky crap.  Like you left masking tape on them for too long and it left residue.

Here are some pics:

dj_01_zps2590645f.jpg

dj_02_zps8963b7a6.jpg

dj_03_zpsa7bd8f59.jpg

dj_05_zpsb403158b.jpg

dj_04_zpse5813732.jpg

I was really [censored] at the time I got it that it was so beat up.  But now it feels like a new toy. I'd like to figure out what to do with it.  Can I go gen dial or is the ETA DW in the wrong place?  What do gen DJ dials run - especially older ones?  Should I go gen on hands or are the rep ones good enough?  

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks

The gen dials will require their feet to be cut, which is why the dial is loose in the case right now. If you like the current dial, use it, otherwise there are many different styles of dials which will work. Any quickset dial is fine. You can spend anywhere from $50 to $500 on the dial depending on condition, how well you shop, and what kind of dial you like.

Cure your dial movement problem by attaching the dial to the movement ring. If you don't have a movement ring, then you can either use TC's, or get a #2 for 2824 from Raffles-time.

You need the correct DJ hands, not these Mercedes hands. You will need to get hands made for a Tudor movement (which is also a 2824). Gen Tudor hands are best, but you can get Clarks or WSO. Get a gen gasket as well. It's easy enough to clean the bracelet. You'll have a nice watch once you get it done.

datejust_6.jpg

Edited by tomhorn

The gen dials will require their feet to be cut, which is why the dial is loose in the case right now. If you like the current dial, use it, otherwise there are many different styles of dials which will work. Any quickset dial is fine. You can spend anywhere from $50 to $500 on the dial depending on condition, how well you shop, and what kind of dial you like.

Cure your dial movement problem by attaching the dial to the movement ring. If you don't have a movement ring, then you can either use TC's, or get a #2 for 2824 from Raffles-time.

You need the correct DJ hands, not these Mercedes hands. You will need to get hands made for a Tudor movement (which is also a 2824). Gen Tudor hands are best, but you can get Clarks or WSO. Get a gen gasket as well. It's easy enough to clean the bracelet. You'll have a nice watch once you get it done.

datejust_6.jpg

Cool. Thanks for all the info!

The current dial is a rep, so I wonder why is it not attached? In any case, I definitely don't care for it.

So a gen dial will fit? Where's the best place to get one, VRF? Where do I source Tudor hands?

I'd look for a 14270 Explorer dial... but that's just me ;)

Wait now - how could that work? Is the case the same?

PM mymanmatt he is the datejust king and can easily get you going for a very fair price. He can supply the correct dial, hands, and DWO and also install them so you can have a nice daily super franken.

I just did that, thanks!

Cool. Thanks for all the info!

The current dial is a rep, so I wonder why is it not attached? In any case, I definitely don't care for it.

So a gen dial will fit? Where's the best place to get one, VRF? Where do I source Tudor hands?

My first guess is the dial may have been for a rep DJ that had a DG movement instead of an ETA. Of course gen dials will fit ... you have a gen case. You will just have to clip the dial feet off of it because they don't line up with the ETA movement holes.

Dials can be found here, on VRF, and eBay. Gen Tudor hands can be a bit tricky to find (mine came from eBay), but the Clarks and WSO hands are pretty good too. If the DWO is already aligned OK and is a BK overlay it will be fine. If not, you can either get one from him, or get the latest version from TC.

PBdad built mine, but mymanmatt is supposed to do good work too (I've never used him personally, but his reviews are solid). Either could put together whatever parts you decide to replace.

I have used Matt on several occasions, his work is outstanding. He can source a gen dial and the correct hands to fit your movement. Matt also has a technique that allows him to use gen dials without cutting the feet. Doesn't work on all movements, button some it does.

He built this Day/Date for me, gen dial, crown and bezel, his case.

• Like 1

It's not really a vintage it's a sapphire Datejust.

All you need is a gen modern Datejust dial and the Tudor hands, a dial you get for $40-200 hands are $20. And that jubilee looks disgusting ... put it in a cleaning solution, pure alcohol or an ultrasonic cleaner.

The sticky stuff on the bracelet is kind of scary.   It really is just like old tape residue.  Alcohol just made it stickier.  Even my old standby stainless steel cleaner (which took black "DLC" paint off a Panerai case) did nothing.  

I soaked it for about 6 hours in piping hot water with dishwashing soap (like you use to clean black stuff from the inside of a metal coffee pot) and then wiped each link down and it's 85% there.  What is this stuff?

The case I'm scared to death to clean without de-casing the movement since there's no gasket.   Also scared what hours of hot water will do to the crystal gasket.  Make have to get brake fluid or something.

The sticky stuff on the bracelet is kind of scary.   It really is just like old tape residue.  Alcohol just made it stickier.  Even my old standby stainless steel cleaner (which took black "DLC" paint off a Panerai case) did nothing.  

I soaked it for about 6 hours in piping hot water with dishwashing soap (like you use to clean black stuff from the inside of a metal coffee pot) and then wiped each link down and it's 85% there.  What is this stuff?

Im guessing 4+ years of hair spray?  Thats if your wife uses it?

Anyway, great you found it, and as mentioned, it will live to fight another day once you have finished restoring it.  Great base to start with.

Try an ultrasonic bath to remove the residue off it.

Im guessing 4+ years of hair spray?  Thats if your wife uses it?

Anyway, great you found it, and as mentioned, it will live to fight another day once you have finished restoring it.  Great base to start with.

Try an ultrasonic bath to remove the residue off it.

Nope on the hairspray.  I recall it came that way from the seller.  Maybe he had it wrapped in duct tape before selling.  

Olive oil is taking it off - just like it does for Band-Aid residue.  Now I gotta get the olive oil off. ;)

Need to buy an ultrasonic cleaner.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Matt took care of this beautifully. He found no retaining ring holding the movement to the dial, and that the tabs weren't in place. So he built a new ring, replaced the tabs, and regulated the movement. Then he got me a gen linen dial and gen engine-turned bezel to replace the smooth one, and replaced the hands with long stem ones that cleared the dial. Then he messed with the spacing so the DW turned smoothly between the 2824 and the dial, while also keeping the hands from touching the crystal. Then he replaced the mucked-up jubilee with a nice oyster with really great fitting endlinks.

The price for all of this work was more than reasonable (maybe even "cheap"), and the result is stunning:

c26f3f2c-c952-4d76-ae76-f26097ce62c6.jpg

Update. Matt took care of this beautifully. He found no retaining ring holding the movement to the dial, and that the tabs weren't in place. So he built a new ring, replaced the tabs, and regulated the movement. Then he got me a gen linen dial and gen engine-turned bezel to replace the smooth one, and replaced the hands with long stem ones that cleared the dial. Then he messed with the spacing so the DW turned smoothly between the 2824 and the dial, while also keeping the hands from touching the crystal. Then he replaced the mucked-up jubilee with a nice oyster with really great fitting endlinks.

The price for all of this work was more than reasonable (maybe even "cheap"), and the result is stunning:

c26f3f2c-c952-4d76-ae76-f26097ce62c6.jpg

Wow, Matt did you proud mate :)