When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So what if I want to print my own movement date disc ?

db1

Hi,

I know some reps lack the correct date font on their date discs and some are not being improved by the rep factories for whatever reason.

but - what if I have a date disc image that I want to print on an "empty" date disc ?

(for an example a navitimer correct date disc)

does anyone knows where it's being done ? what ink\toner material is being used for date disc printing ? what printer\machinary is being used?

are there any homebrew anternatives that are good?

anyone at all have tried this ?

Many thanks,

Db1

I've been thinking the same thoughts.

I'm going to try the local digital photo developer. I have a feeling that the numbers may not be crisp enough. I'm also concerned that the photo paper may be too thick. There is also a chance that the photo print may scratch.

The second option is printing onto a thin plastic with a device called a Print Gocco. (Do a YouTube search).

once every few months someone comes up with this idea and people talk, things get sort of done, it  gets exciting, and then it all peters out. Do a search on this. I think someone did it for a Rolex dwo and there are some really good vector diagrams on this already.  No one has come up with a good one except for  rwg member polexpete(?)

If you want a specific type without having a gen to use for replication and starting from scratch.....

It would be easier to contact all those gen dial sellers.... you could well find they have access to gen DWs ...whether damaged (for replication) or good enough to use for your build.

But another alternative is to contact guys that have done it before for them selves...there are plenty of threads on it..

Some have built or had built full wheels from scratch...but those are minimum order and you will need to ensure the choice of movement will meet demand...or you can appraoch guys that have done overlays...

One guy springs to mind... who does many overlays for his modded Rolex's.... which many of us buy from him... h would tell you what would work..if you ask nicely..but you will need the gen.... or a macro of each number...otherwise it aint worth the effort ;)

Here is the thread on the vintage Rolex date wheel overlay. There are good ideas in the entire thread.

Our reps that use ETA or DG movements need an overlay for two reason. One, to reposition the date more toward the center to align with the Rolex date window position, and two, because the Rolex date wheel rotates opposite of the ETA and DG. The numbers have to be in reversed order.

I copied and save the vectorized picture to my file. and used my photo program to adjust the diameter to fit the overlay. My first one from several years ago was done all by 'hand', copy and paste the numbers to a circle. This vectorized is a vast improvement. Then I print it on a clear, self adhesive inkjet  label, suggested by another member here. The date wheel overlay can be painted to get a white of vintaged background. Then apply the sticker/label. Positioning is the tough part. Being clear (actually 'frosty'), it allows to to see through it a bit, and that helps. To my eye it is sharp enough. 

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/150660-vintage-dwos/page-2

Hi guys,,

thanks for the replies and invaluable info :)

I am very serious about this, I have already found a factory that is producing watch dials and inner bezels, could be interested to ask them if they also able to print date discs.

And if it will work out, I will make a good quantity of them (Even though I need only 2-3 of them, I wouldn't mind producing 50-100pcs)

I was thinking about taking a base breitling font date wheel and edit it to look as per navitimer (single digits are turned towards the outside),

I've found this somewhere on the forum:

post-10855-0-81527900-1379404652_thumb.j

Update: the factory I'm contacting called me back saying they can print the 7753 navitimer date discs and since its a custom job ill have to order no less than 500 pieces, and I need to supply them with graphics.

After they get the graphics they will give me a price per piece.

Anyone in?

Does anyone have a tri compax navitimer date disc vector or graphics, or can make one?

Thanks,

Db1