When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PO v5 vs POCr ? 42mm which is better rep?

kowalski608

Guys,

I've been trying to figure out whether to get the PO v5 or the PO ceramic both in the 42mm version.

Overall which is a bette rep?  I heard the PO v5 is pretty solid, but that the metal casing is sometimes soft?   With the PO ceramic version I've read that the ceramic and lume bezel is a bit weak. 

Can someone provide some feedback on which is a better buy if I am looking for the better rep of the two (as far as quality and least number of flaws).  I would apperciate also dealer leads.

Cheers,

Just imo here but I would go with the ceramic in terms of those two, with reservations though. The V5 PO is a pretty average rep out of the box, it was good 3 years ago when it was released, but by rep standards these days it falls well short in terms of AR, lume, bracelet, pearl, crown/tube which has a strong tendency to strip etc. The good thing about it is it had a 1:1 caseset so was a great model for frankening with gen parts which are readily available from ofrei/cousinsuk etc.

The ceramic on the other hand is a recent release, and has improvements over the old out of the box, but still has some issues. It definitely has better lume, AR, bracelet than the old which instantly make it pop more, but does suffer from some half assed detailing on the dial/bezel etc. The bezel numbers have a tendency to fade, the crowns don't seem too great although a little better than the old V5. The 45mm ceramic/LM is a little better in some regards...better dial etc.

In terms of 42mm the best PO at the minute is the new 42mm LMPO, which is a rep of the older closed caseback limited edition version. Great case, crown, bezel, tube, AR, superlume make it a step above the others. Only issue seems to be a tendency for crooked markers/logos on the dial, that is a basic qc error and is up to the buyer to reject until they are offered one they are pleased with. Outstanding rep though, if they fix the silly dial issue it will be considered a superrep.

Hope this helps a little.

In fact, if really looking for the old standard PO and the glossy LM isn't your cup of tea, I would suggest buying the new LMPO anyway, and find yourself an old V5 dial hands, bezel insert (or better yet gen dial/hands and modded or gen insert) and transplant them into the LMPO. With that you have an instant great old PO with great AR, bracelet, crown/tube, He valve etc at a much cheaper price than modding the V5.

• Like 2

I think many people, including myself, are waiting for the Noob ceramic PO 42 mm to be released in the coming months. Current ceramic suffers from fading dial. And the old PO is just old: not up to current standards.

I know it doesn't help your choice if you really want to buy one now  :g:  B)

• Like 1

I think many people, including myself, are waiting for the Noob ceramic PO 42 mm to be released in the coming months. Current ceramic suffers from fading dial. And the old PO is just old: not up to current standards.

Hey!!

Is that the watch you are talking of?

http://www.pureti.me/product/planet-ocean-42mm-liquidmetal-limited-edition-11-noob-best-edition/

No not that one with 2500 co axial movement. That liquidmetal limeted edition is no good. It has crooked numbers and omega logo on the dial. And noob factory made many dials so far so they are not going to change them soon until the batch runs out.

I meant the 8500 po ceramic from noob which which is still not released yet.

I

No not that one with 2500 co axial movement. That liquidmetal limeted edition is no good. It has crooked numbers and omega logo on the dial. And noob factory made many dials so far so they are not going to change them soon until the batch runs out.

I meant the 8500 po ceramic from noob which which is still not released yet.

I

Thanks bro....you just saved me from myself some cash as I was getting ready to make the plunge on that LM...

I'll be waiting for awhile then....as I STILL don't have a friggin Omega rep anywhere in the house!  I feel so naked...

!

I dunno, I just snagged a POv5 with an ETA for a great price. It just seems to be the most solid of these out there, and I like the "older" features like closed back, painted dial (no wobbly numbers or logos)

I'm gonna slowly franken it, I thought it was the best foundation for that..

The LMPO is getting a bit of a bad rap, really it's the dial markers that are an issue, it is definitely a silly issue, shoulda came out with semi straight markers and saved a lot of headache...  if one can be picked up with a good dial it is just fine and a great watch.

Some robbed pics:

SJA_0341_zpsb190c40e.jpg

7dwh.jpg

All the dealers have it atm, most are @$298 but check out Sead who has it @ $268. Keep an eye out for some of them with crooked markers during QC, they are improving, but slowly. Hopefully future batches will correct it fully. Otherwise it is a great watch and if you can get a one with a good dial then its a cracker.

As for the noob CPO, I'm at a loss with this, should've been out in June, but here we are near October and still no release, everything seems seriously delayed but even at that, it cant be much longer??

Is there a guide on moding Omega Planet Oceans?  Like - what can i do myself and what should I have a watch smith (from here) do?

Here's my modded PO 42mm v.5, did the mods myself – which is part of the fun. All the info you need is on the forums (RWG, RWI, RG). You just need to search for it ;)

Sunnydale Crystal

Gen Dial

Gen Hands

Gen Date Wheel

Gen HE Valve

Gen Endlinks

Gen Bezel

I've just installed the bezel, below you can see some comparison shots of rep and gen. Apart from the pearl, you'll notice the difference in height of the milled edge:

post-48510-0-00782600-1380781282_thumb.j

post-48510-0-03488800-1380781313_thumb.j

I'll probably get around to the crown and tube eventually too.

I just received the Omega PO Ceramic 42mm black from a TD. This watch has no issues on the bezel, lume, crown, logo, dial, markers, clasp etc. I even looks as a Franken PO Cr. Unfortunately it seems that I am no Omega guy. I need to wait before posting it here because there are problems to upgrade to VIP. I had a VIP account but the last payment went wrong so I need some days before I can post my sale.  :g::(

Edited by aa007210

• 2 weeks later...

I think that some cheap V5 with 4813 movement for $140-148 is still worth the purchase. I will certainly buy it to see how the watch feels.

2500 and 8500 42mm are the same size wise, right? I mean lug to lug and end link size.

I already bought Silix Economy 45mm PO and 42mm AT, and their 50mm lug to lug and 58mm end link to end link is just ridiculous, and must be certainly far from gen.

As for LMPO, I think it is too expensive, $298 for Asian and $448 for Swiss.

So really best to wait for Noob Ceramic.

But I will see with V5 if this watch is even for me, if not, only AT's remain.

Hi buddy the non ceramic planet ocean is a great rep for modding like others have said. I bought mine and managed to find pretty much all second hand gen parts and made a cracking franken which I ended up loving so much I went and bought a gen. I made a few threads of every mod I done which all should be in my signature.have a look mate and see what you think. I'm no watch modder/pro but managed all the mods myself with the help of all the great info and members on Rwg. Good luck :)

• Like 1