When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SMP 300m vs PO 42mm

peterpanda

Hi guys,

So I have been lurking for a while and am now down to 2 contenders (I think!).
I am considering the black ceramic 300m Seamaster Pro and the Planet Ocean 42mm.

Now I am torn on a couple of points that perhaps you could help with!

I read a review on the black ceramic SMP 300m which was pretty positive.

Cons: Backplate all wrong, weak lume

The PO 42mm is include in the "super reps" list and appears to be pretty good?

Cons: No waterproofing (as far as I'm aware?)

Have any of you purchased either of the above and are able to sway me in either direction?

I keep reading about a "noob factory" could somebody explain to me what that means? Is it a place where you can order different versions of the reps? Or do the standard dealers provide reps from the noob factories?

Thanks!

For the SMP:

Flaws/tells are mainly pearl (easy fix), case back, bezel numbers&indices (engraved, not flush as the gen and slightly thinner). Also the hour indices are not as flat as the gen. The rep is also slightly thicker than the gen. But except for the pearl, I'd say all those are passable unless you do a side-by-side comparison. 

Common errors I've seen are are bad bezels (uneven spacing - 12 and 6 markers don't line up) and misaligned date wheels.

Also currently they only come with "Swiss ETA", which is a bit of a lottery. Mine came with a movement that's either very old or very "franken" based on the looks of the regulator markings. But it works, so...

Apart from all that it's still a very nice watch, and my current daily beater.  

• Like 1

For the SMP:

Flaws/tells are mainly pearl (easy fix), case back, bezel numbers&indices (engraved, not flush as the gen and slightly thinner). Also the hour indices are not as flat as the gen. The rep is also slightly thicker than the gen. But except for the pearl, I'd say all those are passable unless you do a side-by-side comparison. 

Common errors I've seen are are bad bezels (uneven spacing - 12 and 6 markers don't line up) and misaligned date wheels.

Also currently they only come with "Swiss ETA", which is a bit of a lottery. Mine came with a movement that's either very old or very "franken" based on the looks of the regulator markings. But it works, so...

Apart from all that it's still a very nice watch, and my current daily beater.  

Very helpful thank you! I think if I am to purchase the SMP I'll fix the pearl and probably aim to replace the caseback and bezel if I ever manage to source the parts (may have to wait a few years though!)

I'm in the same boat as you. sold off all my Rolex Franken-reps, going for some Omegas now.

I am not impressed with what the newer reps of these have looked like, so I am after some of the older versions of these two (V5 42mm PO, or an older SMP300). There is one older version of the SMP300 that is supposed to be very close to authentic, and parts to franken these are easily found....

I'm in the same boat as you. sold off all my Rolex Franken-reps, going for some Omegas now.

I am not impressed with what the newer reps of these have looked like, so I am after some of the older versions of these two (V5 42mm PO, or an older SMP300). There is one older version of the SMP300 that is supposed to be very close to authentic, and parts to franken these are easily found....

Agreed - I was torn between the V5 42mm PO and the LMPO 42mm.

I have decided to go for the Liquid Metal as it is practically flawless providing you choose the right one at QC.

I too considered getting the v5 versus other PO models. In the end I decided it was too costly to get the v5 up to snuff- new crystal AR, crown and tube, possible lume job. Although the LMPO doesn't really speak to me I'd buy it if they got the dial issues in order. Looks like a solid piece.  

It is indeed a shame about the dial - I will be observing the QC for closely!

In saying that, the rest of the piece is so good that it could probably even make for a good v5 fraken? Just genuine dial/hands and perhaps change the caseback and it would be there