When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Introducing TC/Caddell Submariners

tc670207

Caddell-Submariner-01_zpsf119979c.jpg

Now it is time for a proper introduction of the Caddell Submariners which members have been seeing on "Caddell Submariner x 2", and "TC/Caddell Vintage Insert".

First let me clarify by pointing out the Caddell Submariners are my own iteration of Rolex Submariner. They are custom builds according to my own designs, preferences, and aesthetics based on TC 16610 gen spec parts.

While TC Sub, the perfect Submariner project started off about an year and half ago as an spiritual escape from an ugly divorce, Caddell Submariner is a side way tour I recently find fun and excited while sitting on a pile of gen spec TC Sub parts.

I wasn't so sure where to start in the beginning or even messing with the original Rolex design was a good idea or not. Rolex designers spent hundreds of hours on research and on drawing board simulations before finalizing a design.

The only thing I could do to validate my own is to run the same kind of trials and errors. The more I delved into it, the more addicted I got. I realized that Rolex really hit a home run coming up with this classic 16610 Submariner.

My very first mod, a TC 16610 Sub with 25-286 crystal. 25-286 is a 2.00 mm thick pre-modern Rolex crystal that fits Air-King Datejust, Explorer and other models without date window or cyclops. My intention was to give the 16610 a younger, and a more Rolex Sea-Dweller look like face lift.
Caddell-Submariner-02_zpsc1f37675.jpg

I would not categorize this a Caddell Submariner. To me, and to most members, this is just a mod. It is not really a new creation.

During my trip to Japan for TC DWO V3. I had this fantasy making the dates with negative colors. Thought it would give a more aggressive, younger touch to the 16610.
Caddell-Submariner-03_zps01fb2b1b.jpg

By now, I am sure many expert members have been noticing the spectacular gen featured 16610 dials on the Caddell Subs and wondering what that is about. I say gen featured because I still can't be sure what it is about either at this point.

During my most recent business trip to Europe, I had a chance to meet a potential business partner whom turned out to be a Rolex aficionado. I was wearing a TC LV Sub with gen black insert that caught his attention. After a few seconds of checking out the watch he praised the maxi dial and black insert combination. Then he asked where I received the insert alteration.

I came clean and told him my journey for the perfect Sub which made his jaw drop. He was amazed by the build quality. He did not believe reps can come in at this level. We chatted on some more. I explained to him my recent dial issues and my desperation to find a good dial maker. It was a great chat which lasted into the late night. End of the night he told me he's got some brand new 16610 dials which he couldn't use but would like to pass to me as a gift.

We arranged to meet up the next day at his workshop. He opened a fine cherry wood box and handed me a small plastic dial seal. I opened the box and saw a 16610 gen dials inside. I examined it with the magnifying glass. Everything looked right. The indices are gen, the lume application is gen, and the dial print is gen. But when I flipped to the back my jaw dropped. The back is not stamped by Rolex, and the dial feet was made to fit ETA 2800 series movement not the Rolex 3135 movement.

I have never ever seen anything like this in the past years trolling in China. This is BIG!!!! I did not know something like this exist. I asked my friend where did he get this? He shrugged.

One of the two is gen. The question is, which one?
Caddell-Submariner-04_zps16cde7b6.jpg

If you ask me TC, so is this gen dial or not? I have to tell you No, because I really do not know. It has the gen dial's pedigree in terms of the way than indices, lume, and fonts. But we all know gen dials have different dial feet and the Rolex Stamps. This might be a hybrid, a mod, or something. But then again, I have never ever seen a rep dial with gen Rolex indices pin holes like this. However baffled, I am very very excited about this discovery.

My British friend donated a few of these 16610 dials to me to fund my journey ahead. I requested a bulk order or a quantity purchase but he politely refused. Instead he promised to send over a couple of these 16610 dials from time to time. "Consider it a seed fund for your bigger venture." He said. Hence, I'd like to name the very 16610 dial "Kensington High 16610 dial" or "KH 16610 dial". Since I cannot procure these KH 16610 dials on a regular and consistent bases, I will only be using these on the Caddell Submariner Series.

Caddell Submariner features the same "TC V-series Sub case set" as the rest of the TC Sub line. It is also coupled with the "TC 93250 V4 bracelet" and "TC 2824 movement". Caddell Sub also features the very gen Kensington High 16610 dials, TC's home brew flavor black base color, white date DWO and TC/Caddell Vintage Insert.

I have dedicated my entire stack of KH 16610 dials to the Caddell Subs this time. I do not know how many my Brit friend will  sponsor me next month; turn around time on these may be a while once I sell out. The designations are as followed.

Caddell Submariner 25-295-C
Caddell-Submariner-05_zpsfe91ff4f.jpg

Caddell Submariner 25-286
Caddell-Submariner-06_zps447c951e.jpg

Caddell Submariner Rouge 25-295-C
Caddell-Submariner-07_zps0045fb90.jpg

Caddell Submariner Rouge 25-286
Caddell-Submariner-08_zps12785233.jpg

Thanks for reading.

TC

9/21/13

• Like 2

Super !!!!! i like modding these days and it a nice addition to our vintage builds collection i am at the moment planning a couple of big crown builds that will be custom built not exact replica of the vintage ones,  which will be powered by a more modern 2892-2 eta with red seconds hand and no ageing ! this opens up the way to build custom builds as well as replicating gen watches 

i would like to see a feature on custom building using replica and aftermarket parts ! Big Bravo !!!!

Edited by aeromatic