When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DHL vs EMS (UK)

mstan83

Afternoon guys

I just ordered my 3rd rep, an IWC Mark XVII with Andrew and received a tracking number which indicates it will be sent by DHL.

My last two orders were sent by EMS/Parcelforce and both arrived within 8 days with no customs problems, delays etc etc.... so was expecting the same again.

Is it usual for dealers to 'switch up' their delivery methods to the UK? Are there any pros/cons of one over the other?

Any experience you have had with DHL to UK I'd be interested to hear.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Generally DHL to Uk is faster.... However DHL can open up your packages ...they have on me a few times...but for some reason and according to my dealer they only look for certain brands.... Rolex as I recall should never go by DHL according to my dealer...

Overall though i prefer DHL to EMS

But you need to be aware that dealers vary in DHL/FedEx service.... this is because they use courier agents.... these guys take the package from the delaer and then forward on to DHL/FedEx etc... they are basically middle men... by using them the delaer can save costs because this agent has a large client list and therefore pays reduced rates to the courier..

Where the differences can occur is that the agent may take several days to get it to the courier.... some take it across to HK ...and by the time they take I always think its by Donkey !!

So say you have DHL express that takes 3 days.... that 3 days only counts for when DHL have it...not the time it takes to get from the agent to DHL which can be a week or so depends on the quality of the agent and the price he charges...so just be careful when using those services as an extra cost to ems as you may not save anytime at all... :)

Thanks guys.

I'm not too worried about the timescale of the delivery and it cost me the same as EMS, I appreciate its a waiting game. It had come previously one way and then a different way the next. Just wondered how your experiences faired compared to EMS.

I hope I'm in when they deliver because the nearest DHL depot is 30 min round trip (Beckton)! Not too far from you Pete i believe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Guys ordered my 3rd watch from Andrew and Trusty and was given my 10 digit tracking number for DHL for delivery to the UK on the 20th, confirmed QC pics on the 21st but as yet the tracking number isn't showing up on DHL site should it be active for me to track? the other watches I have received in the past have all been with FedEx and I've  been able to track almost immediately am I being inpatient or could there be an issue appreciate any feedback. 

You probably shouldn't expect to see anything till mid February due to Chinese New Year, most of the country shuts down.

From what I understand most of the larger TD's like Andrew do not post themselves. Once the QC pics have been approved they then pass the watch onto a forwarding agent who then along with dozens of other parcels takes them to be posted be it with DHL, EMS or Fedex.

If the tracking isn't active then it's probably not left Andrew or his forwarder and hasn't been received by the courier which could mean your watch may not move now for a few weeks.

Other members may have experienced different though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input mstan83 i knew i was cutting it fine with CNY and asked Andrew nicely if he could move it before the holidays start,looks like i am in for a long wait now then, ive never used DHL before so was a little unsure how they operate these next few weeks are going to seem like forever will keep this thread updated hopefully as and when it lands on my wrist.

Just a quick update I was given a new tracking number from Andrew as the original one didn't work for some reason the watch arrived this morning from Andrew and Trusty Time and its superb my new Panerai 386M Composite it came via DHL courier, to say I am pleased is an understatement, all in all a turnaround from order to delivery of just 9 days 19th to the 28th of January which considering its the CNY I think is very good, got to say that previous orders have been with FedEx and the overall experience with DHL has been really good with accurate up to date tracking information throughout I can now relax thanks for the comments given people.