When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Scratched AR coating on Super Avenger

adamo99

So, I managed to smack my watch against something, and scratched the AR coating.  You could only see it under very specific lighting conditions, but it was the only thing I could see after it happened, and it was driving me crazy.

I tried everything to get the rest of the coating off, figured it would at least be uniform that way.  I tried rubbing compounds, polishes, pastes, by hand, and even a Dremel with a felt wheel.  That sh*t is really on there, and I'm surprised it even got scratched in the first place.

I had started to look for a replacement gen crystal, and figured I'd try more severe measures, figuring it could do no harm- so I took 1000 grit sandpaper, and wet-sanded the crystal.  The AR coating is all gone, there are zero blemishes on the crystal, and it looks absolutely fantastic! You no longer get the purple hue in reflections, but there is minimal if any glare, and the surface looks flawless.  I will take pics and post later during the day when there is better light.

The gen is around £70 on the bay....

But removing the AR isnt usually that hard .... the easiest is the dremel and rouge.... I have taken off some really stubborn AR using that so what you say does surprise me...if that aint worked then I woudlnt be sure what to do apart from open up my cupboard and try every household cleaner I have :) THere was a guy sold his the other day ..he had removed AR in the same way...

But you may get a rep from a dealer.... just email them direct mate..Rochest, Angus Mary should be able to source one from Noob or H maker.... but it will probably be similar price to buying the gen... after shipping

:)

I might be mistaken but I think those 'gen' eBay crystals have also had the outside layer removed. Which is why they ended up on the used market

There are a few that might be mate.... I aint sure which ones you might mean as there are a good few on there with varying prices.... and of course on Chrono too...

But I havent investigated.... I only went by description on the ones I saw which stated them as NOS ... from the pic I would say it had the AR top side... as the hue is definitely there on the crystal surface

But your right...it would be important to clarify if you are unsure before buying.... and at least the sellers seem to be of good standing....