When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

stumped: loose 5513 cartel bezel (keeps popping off)

iwc3

I need to ask some advice. I have this Cartel (josh) 5513 I've been doing some mods to.

Here is the problem: The bezel is so loose, it pops off at the slightest jarring. After reading the RWG posts, I tried putting some bends in the thin bezel ring washer underneath. Though that helped the spin tension nicely, it did not keep the bezel any more secure. ( I have another Josh 5513 that stays on the watch)

Here's the question: If its the bezel that is not made properly are there other bezel assemblies to fit this?  or  Is it possible on a Josh 5513 to buy a whole new assembly, Crystal retaining ring, washer and bezel?

I love the watch but right now to wear it I have the bezel "locked down".

Thanks,

iwc3

I'm petty sure that the bezel "clicks" onto the crystal retaining ring.... If it is too loose , maybe you need a whole new set. I replaced my list MBW/mbk combo with one from Clark's, and it worked great

I have seen at least 3 different bezel assemblies on Sub reps, but if your rep bezel is made like the gen, there should be a slightly bent, flat metal spring that fits between the bottom of the bezel & top of the case. The slight bend of the spring puts upward tension on the bezel to keep it locked onto the crystal retaining ring. If the spring is too flat, there is insufficient tension & the bezel will be loose (the opposite can also be true, so be careful not too bend it too much).

Sad to say but there is not much of a fix for a snap on bezel that pops off easily. Either the crystal retaining ring or rotating bezel is out of spec...maybe both.

I too have had good luck with Clark's bezel kits but they are out of stock most of the time. They are supplied with a matte finish and have to be polished but it is very easy to do. You might also spend a little extra and get a Clark's 19 crystal to go with it as an out of spec crystal will also cause trouble.

The crystal neck on the case should be 28.2mm or very, very close.

Prying a bezel off and snapping it on a lot will make it prone to popping off same as turning the bezel a lot without pressing down on it. When you turn the bezel back and forth without pressing down on it, the upward pressure of the tension spring will cause wear on the crystal retaining ring and rotating bezel over time and make it easy to remove.

Sad to say but there is not much of a fix for a snap on bezel that pops off easily. Either the crystal retaining ring or rotating bezel is out of spec...maybe both.

I have had some success fixing this by putting several drops of superglue on the inside of the bezel, letting it dry, then snapping it on the retaining ring and playing with it until it looks right. The superglue fills up the space and keeps everything tight. It's a crappy, ugly hack, but at least your bezel stays on.

The only "real" fix is to source another retaining ring or bezel ring that is the right diameter

(Note I am not saying just glue the two pieces together)

Thank-you gentlemen for the ideas. Good advice about putting downward pressure moving the bezel to minimalize wear. I'll remember that.

I'll fiddle with the flat metal spring to get it right. I'll also be looking for a "set" to buy. May try the superglue idea. I've already tried some rubber cement. That didn't work too well though.

Iwc3

• 2 years later...

I have bought this crystal: Rolex Generic Tropic Glass EACH No.19 (Ø303mm) (Sternkreuz XS303.472)

Now the bezel without the insert turn free, but if I put the insert in the bezel it doesnt turn and if I force it, the insert pop off. What can i do?

Inviato dal mio A0001 utilizzando Tapatalk

Had the same issue with mine, the issue is actually that the tension spring is a bit too small in diameter and a bit thin. I bought a replacement from cousins UK which is considersbly more substantial and it's now as tight as a drum

Hope that helps 

Cheers DH

• Like 1

Had the same issue with mine, the issue is actually that the tension spring is a bit too small in diameter and a bit thin. I bought a replacement from cousins UK which is considersbly more substantial and it's now as tight as a drum

Hope that helps 

Cheers DH

Have u a link of this spring, please? Thank you

On 10/4/2013 at 11:49 PM, freddy333 said:

I have seen at least 3 different bezel assemblies on Sub reps, but if your rep bezel is made like the gen, there should be a slightly bent, flat metal spring that fits between the bottom of the bezel & top of the case. The slight bend of the spring puts upward tension on the bezel to keep it locked onto the crystal retaining ring. If the spring is too flat, there is insufficient tension & the bezel will be loose (the opposite can also be true, so be careful not too bend it too much).

The bend in the flat spring has nothing to do with securing the bezel, but is only to apply more friction to reduce the free spin of the bezel. The only thing that holds the bezel on the watch is the "click" with the crystal retaining ring. The edges are made bevelled and lock together. What wears them out is removing the bezel by pulling it off of the retaining ring. Eventually the slight bevels wear out and the bezel falls off.

As far as I know the only fix is a new bezel and retaining ring. Both, not just one or the other.