When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Drilling a Tc case in EU

candide2424

Hello Guys,

I have got a problem.

I sourced what seemed to be a ST case. Then I bought a y3135 I fitted it with a gen 16800.

The issue is that y3135 doest not get into my case. It is too thick...

Thus,

I was thinking of getting a TC case that I would have drilled by somebody else.

Do you know of some one in EU (preferrably UK) that would be able to drill the lug holes for me ?

What is your opinion about this option?

Thanks,

+1

I'm looking for the same service in the EU (but for a completely different project).

Hello Guys,
I have got a problem.
I sourced what seemed to be a ST case. Then I bought a y3135 I fitted it with a gen 16800.
The issue is that y3135 doest not get into my case. It is too thick...
Thus,
I was thinking of getting a TC case that I would have drilled by somebody else.
Do you know of some one in EU (preferrably UK) that would be able to drill the lug holes for me ?
What is your opinion about this option?
Thanks,

I have a drill press arriving this week.  Give me some time to practise, and get used to it, and I will consider taking the work on, but from my understanding, its a very difficult task to carry out in order to drill exactly to mate with the already drilled internal lug holes.  I have often, and even looked into dentist type angled drills which would make drilling lugs easier, but alas not found a positive solution.

I have a drill press arriving this week.  Give me some time to practise, and get used to it, and I will consider taking the work on, but from my understanding, its a very difficult task to carry out in order to drill exactly to mate with the already drilled internal lug holes.  I have often, and even looked into dentist type angled drills which would make drilling lugs easier, but alas not found a positive solution.

I can be very patient :)

I will sign up when you are ready ;)

"...it's a very difficult task to carry out in order to drill exactly to mate with the already drilled internal lug holes."

From my experience it is next to impossible. If you get four holes drilled exactly where you want them...it was an accident.  :fool:  

The drill bit will walk on the uneven lug and ruin the lug.

The bit will break off in the lug.

The bit will start correctly then follow the inside hole when it hits it and break if the hole is not exactly parallel and the same size.

Many inside drilled holes are drilled at an angle and the bit will break when they hit the angle from the outside.

etc, etc.

Tips...

Have the least amount of drill bit exposed as possible even if it means stopping a few times to extend it as the hole deepens.

On no hole (aka 'blind') lugs use a center punch etc to make a dimple where you want to start the holes to keep the bit from walking.

Stainless steel will work harden if the bit stops cutting and heats the lug so keep the bit cool and lubricated. 

Drill the holes in two or three steps, do not try to drill the holes in one run. 

The case has to be held very securely while drilling...brass jaw vise bolted to the drill press table etc.

• Like 1

I took on this task yesterday on my cartel 1655 case.

It was a nightmare and I just barely survived with the case intact!

I broke 2 drill bits.

Get the best possible HSS drill bits and as said above go slowly and use a little lube.

To make sure I was lined up with the existing hole I put a drill bit in that was the same size as the hole I was drilling, I ran it through the lug hole and tightened up the vice while the dril was in the lug hole (if you understand what I mean?) I then swapped out the drill for the larger size.

Not a job for the faint hearted!

• Like 1

One think ( and easy) is to enlarge existing holes , like in the 1665 cases .

Totally other problem is drill one case without holes like in 16610 cases..............

Wile , not using correct machinery  on 1665 ,

is easy to have oval and not round ( so not correct ) holes too,

I will have a few practises with my drill press once it arrives with old cases I have lying about, and take on board the great advice, and tips on carrying out such work also.  I think with a combined drill press set up correctly, with a mating fixable vise, I'm half way there in achieving the goal.  I have several means of taking measurements, micrometer, calliper etc, so lets see how I get on.

Ditto automatico

I have done this and it is the hardest operation I have done, and it did not come out perfect!

Is is almost impossible to drill all 4 hikes to meet up with the predrilled holes inside the lugs

Be afraid be very afraid

Another drawback of doing this on a rep case is the quality of the steel you will find hard bits and soft bits just as you are half way through a hole that is cutting well you hit a hard point and wreck the bit

"...it's a very difficult task to carry out in order to drill exactly to mate with the already drilled internal lug holes."

From my experience it is next to impossible. If you get four holes drilled exactly where you want them...it was an accident.  :fool:  

The drill bit will walk on the uneven lug and ruin the lug.

The bit will break off in the lug.

The bit will start correctly then follow the inside hole when it hits it and break if the hole is not exactly parallel and the same size.

Many inside drilled holes are drilled at an angle and the bit will break when they hit the angle from the outside.

etc, etc.

Tips...

Have the least amount of drill bit exposed as possible even if it means stopping a few times to extend it as the hole deepens.

On no hole (aka 'blind') lugs use a center punch etc to make a dimple where you want to start the holes to keep the bit from walking.

Stainless steel will work harden if the bit stops cutting and heats the lug so keep the bit cool and lubricated. 

Drill the holes in two or three steps, do not try to drill the holes in one run. 

The case has to be held very securely while drilling...brass jaw vise bolted to the drill press table etc.

Ditto automatico

I have done this and it is the hardest operation I have done, and it did not come out perfect!

Is is almost impossible to drill all 4 hikes to meet up with the predrilled holes inside the lugs

Be afraid be very afraid

Another drawback of doing this on a rep case is the quality of the steel you will find hard bits and soft bits just as you are half way through a hole that is cutting well you hit a hard point and wreck the bit

:thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

"I have done this and it is the hardest operation I have done, and it did not come out perfect!"

Agree.

"It is almost impossible to drill all 4 holes to meet up with the predrilled holes inside the lugs."

True!

I successfully drilled all four holes in a blind lug replica DJ a few years ago and have never been able to duplicate it after quite a few tries.

Today I drilled out four holes to 1.3mm in a case with smaller holes already drilled all the way through with no trouble. If the holes are already there it is fairly easy except for holes that are predrilled off center. These were predrilled at a slight downhill angle but I lucked out.

I use HSS bits and aerosol CRC spray oil (only because I have a case of it). This time the same bit cut all four holes but sometimes the bit dulls and has to be changed before it cuts four holes. As long as it cuts I use it but when it dulls a little I change it out.

I have never sharpened a bit this small but I am sure it can be done fairly easily. I have a 20mm diamond coated disc in a battery Dremel and it would probably rough it out and then it could be finished on a sharpening hone etc. I'm just too lazy to try it.

Use 'Windex' etc glass cleaner to cool/lubricate the diamond wheel and keep it from loading up with metal.