When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

7750 movement - choppy seconds hand

icoopernicus

This problem is only noticeable on the Chronograph seconds hand but I am sure it is happening on the sub seconds too, just too small to see. When I run the chrono on this standard configuration A7750 (Carrera Cal.16) I can see the seconds hand skipping. it appears to stop for a beat and then skip ahead a beat once in a while. Is it time to service this movement? If so, just out of curiousity. would this be caused by a lack of lubricant or possibly too much lubricant? When I find an irregularity I always like to understand exactly what is occurring within the movement to cause the problem. Any watchmakers out there that might be able to enlighten me with some diagnostics.com I would appreciate the lesson.

Signed, Confused :g: , also signed Me, Mike ;)

Only 3 possible things.

1. Bad/ dirty teeth on the chronograph second wheel

2. Bad / dirty teeth on the tilting pinion

3. Chronograph second wheel spring has too little upward tension.

PS: very common problem and causes no harm what so ever. Just aesthetically not very appealing. It does not affect time keeping.

• Like 1

Had this problem on my Montblanc Timewalker Chrono and sent it off for servicing hoping that would take care of it.

The report I got back from the watchmaker is that the choppiness only got slightly better after servicing.

I know he tried changing out the center wheel/center chrono gear and he said he got some better results from doing that...

Unfortunately in doing so, something else broke and I haven't seen my watch since. If I do see it again I'll tell u if the improvement was significant.

Had this problem on my Montblanc Timewalker Chrono and sent it off for servicing hoping that would take care of it.

The report I got back from the watchmaker is that the choppiness only got slightly better after servicing.

I know he tried changing out the center wheel/center chrono gear and he said he got some better results from doing that...

Unfortunately in doing so, something else broke and I haven't seen my watch since. If I do see it again I'll tell u if the improvement was significant.

Sorry to hear that. In my experience 9 out of 10 'choppyness' it is caused by #3. Unexperienced watch makers usually only try to swap #1 and #2...

would #3 be fixed by replacing the Chronograph seconds hand spring or is that adjustable during service. It's really only noticeable when running the chromo (so... never) but this watch gets so much wrist time that I feel like I owe it to the watch to get her serviced. There I go anthropomorphizing my watches again  :crazy: