When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I need your opinion on this 1665 Bezel Set

zaza

Until my friend Valty gets back at me, I thought to consult our venerable Gurus on RWG and seek advice. 

This part is offered to me as Genuine 1665 Great White Complete Bezel set of which I've been in hot pursuit. 

Seller seems like a decent guy, but it's always good to check. 

Fellow members who lack enough knowledge, please don't issue your Fatwa, as it might lead into confusion. 

IMG_7890.jpeg

IMG_7891.jpeg

IMG_7892.jpeg

IMG_7894.jpeg

IMG_7895.jpeg

Good Afternoon Zaza,

Did the chap give you any indication of age? The tritium pearl looks almost NOS, i would certainly say the insert looks Gen to me and the font looks too thick to be a service item so that's good news. While the bezel looks quite well worn. The friction ring looks brand new and un used? Could it be a mixture of parts?

Cheers DH

Good Afternoon Zaza,

Did the chap give you any indication of age? The tritium pearl looks almost NOS, i would certainly say the insert looks Gen to me and the font looks too thick to be a service item so that's good news. While the bezel looks quite well worn. The friction ring looks brand new and un used? Could it be a mixture of parts?

Cheers DH

Afternoon Denim! 

About the age, He says it belonged to his original 1665 GW Circa 1979. He had it replaced recently with a GEN NOS one and so this one needs to go. 

Good point about the friction ring! What do you think of the bezel teeth? deep and nicely defined as they should? I used to follow a thread here w/ comparative shots of Gen. vs Phong or something, but I lost the link.. 

Here is another shot from the back: 

IMG_789333.jpg

Having a good, clear full-frontal would be helpful, but, based on the pics provided, it looks gen. But this is definitely a case of buy the seller before you buy the part.

Thanks Fred! 

Just sent him a request for a clear full frontal shot :)

CLASSIC! Please tell me yours is GEN. Nanuq! :)

Guilty, as charged.  :blush:

For years I wasn't sure the bezel was gen, until Ubi showed me another one with the same extra tall sides and shallow divots.  My insert is pure, deep, rich dark black, and hasn't faded a smidgen, although the dial has gone tropical. 

I'm not sure on the bezel one way or the other because I have not had one in my hands (heresy but the 1665 doesn't move me the way it should - in that price class I'd rather be guardless ;) ).

The insert, however, is a superb MK3 insert from the 70s

Edited by Seacraft

Hi Zaza :-) Replied you in PM !

As I said, I have some doubts about the fact this bezel is genuine. It's impossible to see any metal brushing effect cause of the high level of polishing... And the teeth still looks not so much polished.

Pic of my NOS 1665 bezel from service :

1665bezel09.jpg

About the teeth, and the metal look, it looks like much more like Phong's omgiv bezel, with a bit of (artificial ?) aging.

I agree with omgiv : side picture can help to recognize a gen bezel. Rep bezels are usually thinner.

My opinion : I'll pass on stuff I'm not 100% sure is genuine :-)

Some links :

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1348247062/F-S-+1665+DOUBLE+RED+MK+III+WITH+ROLEX+SERVICE+PAPER+%2B+1665+RAIL+DIAL

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1378743915/FS-+1665+SD+Great+White+1978+5-7M

Even highly polished bezels still have the brushing on the bottom side of the bezel...

So the photos shown by Zaza looks weird to me, especially with a like-new (and beautiful) MKIII insert on it :-)