When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Servicing" a 2813 or 4813...any instructions or tutorials?

DiverDoug

Hi all,

I know that servicing a 2813 movement means replacing it because it is so cheap, but are there any tutorials on how to replace an entire movement instead of just a stem? I know Edge put up a nice tutorial, but the photos can't be seen any more... :-(

I searched all over youtube, but the best I could find was just a dissection of a 2813 but no actual replacement into a watch body.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

DD

Well ... you would need to remove the case back, unscrew the crown, pull the crown outwards to the Time Set position, press the stem release button with a properly-sized screw driver, remove the crown and stem then MOST LIKELY the a21j will fall out in your hand. Then you need to place the case and crystal in a container to keep the dust out.

Secure the movement, dial up, in a movement holder. Place a dial protector between the hands and dial. Use the hand pullers to remove the hands. Detach the dial from the movement .. little hooks on the movement grab the dial's legs.

Reverse this to use a new movement. Use a Hands Presser to re-attach the hands.

Easy peasy. If I can do it, you can do it.

Take the back off the watch, usually they're screwed on. Use a wad of duct tape to spin the back off.

Pull the stem, using the other tutorial.

Look for the little tabs holding the movement in the case. They're held by little screws. Pull the screws and the movement drops out.

Flip it over and use your pocketknife (purists look away) to pull the hands off their posts. Three concentric posts hold the three hands. Try not to booger up the dial and be careful, the little suckers can fly a long way.

The dial is held on somehow (I haven't done a DG movement) but it will be easy to figure out how to release the dial.

Put the dial on the new movement

Hold the hands with a Post-it note strip, align them over their posts and use the hollow tip of a cheap old BIC pen to press them down. Make sure they don't bump each other as you turn them.

Install the movement with the case clamps and tiny screws, making sure the stem hole lines up.

Insert them stem, screw the back on, bingo.

Just to add, when fitting the hands. Turn the crown in the hand setting position until the date just turns over, then install the hands at the 12 oclock position. Ensure the minute hand aligns with 12 oclock at the same time as the hour hand ;)

Good luck.