When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where do you buy your GEN watches from?

ceocorona

So I think I'm going to buy a GEN Breitling Superocean Steelfish with blue or black dial. I had planned to buy a GEN TT Rolex but for now I'm going to hold off. Need to really figure out which one before I commit that much money.

Anyways... Are you guys turning to the Bay? Forums? AD? Or whatever comes up?

Pretty much everywhere. I have bought a few on EBay, but none from there in around 10 years. Last few used have been from gen sites, watchUseek and TZ. Lots of nice watches on these sites, and probably a safer way to go than EBay.

Visit a few AD's around your area, and surrounding areas, and try a few on to get to know them better.  Then choose the AD with the best accommodating reception, and see if they will be flexible on mark up price of the watch you wish to buy.

Tips from YouTube I saw:

Defo shop around identify the watch you want and tell the AD your shopping for a great deal. Be open to the fact your comparing with other ADs.

Don't waste their time by leading them on.

Mark-ups are different from country to country, and by brands. Gold watches have bigger margins and more room to play.

Also, like a lot sales products, head to the AD toward month end. It might help...

Masmannan

I buy a lot of my Gen watches grey market (Authentic Watches, Jomashop) depending on the discount available. Or I stick to an AD when I can. with the Breitling I would see what you can get grey market and then use that price as leverage at the AD. For the most part grey market dealers offer supplemental warranty rather than the manufacturers warranty that you won't be getting, which you shouldn't need anyway. Check out Jomashop.com and authenticwatches.com, both US based and get some prices to take back to the dealers and if they can't match the prices just order it online.    

So I may have found a gen sosf from hawaii that I am interested in purchasing.  I know, I am asking a ton of newb Qs... Who has the best sub? Haha

Anyways, I would be paying with paypal.  He's sent me a ton of pictures at my request with very specific asks so I have no doubt the watch is legit.  I'll try and post one here so someone else can comment.  So he's sent me pictures of a gen and lets say what I receive is a H Factory rep, lol, what protection do I have?  Would it be as simple as opening a PP dispute to get my money back? Allegedly, this watch has box and all paperwork. 

EDIT: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-breitling-superocean-steelfish-927058.html

You have paypal as comeback, but firstly forget the watch for a sec and buy the seller so to speak. That is, who is he? What forums is he on, what reputation has he got, make sure he didn't just appear out of thin air etc. Ask for a phone number and check references of other sales. Is this an ebay deal or outside of ebay?

So yeah, I understand that much.  I looked up his ebay account and requested a message from the account.  Its an account thats been around for a while and has only positive feedback.   Obviously not being a watch dealer means he does not have previous watch sales.  According to him the watch was purchased from a forum dealer on the breitlingsource.com.  

This is a forum deal so yes its outside of ebay.  He currently does not have the watch listed on ebay.

You have paypal as comeback, but firstly forget the watch for a sec and buy the seller so to speak. That is, who is he? What forums is he on, what reputation has he got, make sure he didn't just appear out of thin air etc. Ask for a phone number and check references of other sales. Is this an ebay deal or outside of ebay?

+1, Great advice. Personally this guy only has 17 post. No feedbacks on watch sales. For the asking price, I wouldn't do the deal.

I'd need someone with a lot more feedbacks to prove to 'me' that I'd trust him.

That's just my .02 cents.

I've had great luck here: http://www.bernardwatch.com/

Good luck,

Dave...

Thanks guys.  I have taken everyone suggestions and have decided to buy... Ha kidding.  I told the seller I'd pass.  I will wait for a more established member to post something up for sale.  I am in no real rush.  For now I can work with the rep!  So if anyone has a h-fact v2 blue/black dial for sale...  B)  ;)  :)  :notworthy:

What!!! you sold your almost gen beautiful GMT and TT Sub to buy a Superocean Steelfish. Both were gorgeous watches. The breitling to me just doesn't give me that same satisfaction. To each his own I guess. 

What!!! you sold your almost gen beautiful GMT and TT Sub to buy a Superocean Steelfish. Both were gorgeous watches. The breitling to me just doesn't give me that same satisfaction. To each his own I guess. 

Lol no, no, nooo.  I have had my eye on a SOSF since I bought my first black dial SOSF.  Buying a gen SOSF would not have interferred with me buying a gen TT Rolex.  In fact @irolexu kinda talked me out of a ten SOSF because the reps are that good.  I originally purchased three SOSFs, one of each color, but they come with that BS clone of a clone movement.  So I opted to get only one of those movements to test drive it in the black dial and got a swiss in the white dial. 

Rolex is still in the cards.  I have a few people looking out for me when the right deal comes up!  B)