When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Coolest sports car ever

By-Tor

Cars, now you're talking my language!

The below is a wall to wall (well almost) very large photo of my Lightweight in the 2008 Spa 6 hours after 1 full lap. Im leading the 5 GT40's, whom I beat after 6 hours and about £10 million of machinery.

If I can find some other of my previous cars I will share them as they will arguably be in your list somewhere!

Regards

AJ

post-48021-0-35158300-1382693795_thumb.j

Don't get me wrong, I love me a nice Porsche, especially the 959 and original speedster. But for coolest of all time I might say Ferrari Dino, Merc 300 gullwing, or the BMW 3.0csi (although I have a special place in my heart for the 507). But I can't overlook a 1961 corvette convertible esp in the red with white insert paint scheme.

Couldnt agree more By-Tor the 993 rocks , shame they're going up in value these days heading towards silly money in this part of the world .  

Wouldn't mind a Targa version 

Boas%20993%20Targa%20025.jpg

Porsche-993-Targa-729x486-a27aaa7bab70c2

How much were they asking for the one you looked at By-tor?

That was a friend's car which is not for sale. Turbos are silly money but you can get a standard 993 for 30K€ here in Europe. Pristine ones go for 50K€.

Good rule of thumb is that you can buy two 996's for the price of one 993. Even the good old SC's easily demand more money than 996's which are getting cheap. Nobody wants them.

I personally owned the coolest sports car ever made, I long for the days of cruising the open road in her supportive bucket seats, rowing through the manual gear box and exercising her muscular engine. Even standing still, she was something to look at. 

post-44290-0-68769800-1382710891_thumb.j

In all seriousness, I actually miss this car, (I now drive and Infiniti FX50s and an Audi S5 and still miss it) it was my first and I loved it. I used to fantasize about creating the ultimate GT car by modifying the suspension and interior with much higher quality materials. This fantasizing all took place before I had ever really driven anything better and didn't realize that the shortcomings of the Pontiac Sunfire went all the way to it's foundation :( To this day I think about what I could do with one of these and how nice I could make one but the reality is, it could never become what I saw in it when I was commuting back and forth from school to my girlfriends place every other week.

Anyone recognise this Porsche? My personal favourite of all time ;)

Looks like the automotive fore bearer to all modern super cars. The car that should've been reviled in history rather than the F40.

It's the gorgeously stunning 959.

• Like 1

Agreed. That's a classic Porsche if I see one.

@Freddy: Since you're a British car guy... what do you think about the 1997-2004 Jaguar XK8? I think it's damn nice looking car.

They're not expensive to buy. But are they train wrecks waiting to happen like the old XJ's?

2003-Jaguar-XKR-Coupe-V2-1080.jpg

Steer clear of the pre 2006 (X100) ones.

The next generation, X150 XK and XKRs are damn impressive rocket ships :)

I'm trying to sort things out so I'll be able to buy a friends 2007 XKR when he sells it, getting rid of my Boxster S in the process.

I don't think any car that's been made in the past 5 years is as unreliable or rust prone as they used to be in the 1970s?

As to old 911s, I know they're lovely to look at, but they're still to "London Stock broker made a fortune and bought one with his christmas bonus" for me. Just too far down the "in your face" looks.

Now a nice new 991 Turbo would do me lovely!

"Remember how great sports cars used to corner..??"

morgan.jpg

Morgans still do !!!

That was the advertising slogan Morgan was using back in '66 when I bought this '63 4/4 model...

Over the years I have owned maybe a dozen or so "Sports" cars, From Porsche to Jaguar, Healey, MG, Triumph, Cortina, and even a couple of Camaro Z's, but nothing compared to my Morgan...

As to old 911s, I know they're lovely to look at, but they're still to "London Stock broker made a fortune and bought one with his christmas bonus" for me. Just too far down the "in your face" looks.

Maybe the new ones. But the 70's and 80's 911's have become classic cars. Lots of people appreciate the classic models, at least here in Europe. I see people who drive old Porsches (or any other old sports cars) as car enthusiasts.

And you can buy an old unmolested 911 (in good condition) for 25K€. That's about the same price as a new ordinary family car. Targas are even cheaper... in the 15-20K range.

Good article:

http://www.pca.org/Panorama/HowToBuyAnEntryLevelPorsche/Buyinga911SC.aspx

My dream garage would be (cars that I consider somewhat realistic to obtain for an average guy like me):

Porsche 993

Porsche 928 GTS

BMW 3.0 CS

Ford Mustang Fastback '65

Ferrari 348

348 lines "speak" to me and they're not that expensive to buy, either. The only problem is the maintenance. When you change the timing belt the whole engine has to be removed. That's 5-7K at the Ferrari dealer.

Ferrari_348_TB_by_NicoKGermany.jpg

I actually have two of these that I race once a month…(one is a E30 with a E36 M3 evolution engine) .My favorite go-cart by far.

That is awesome!  I would love to pick up a nicely restored E30 one of these days...  I am also a huge fan of the E46!  Priced just about right too!