When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Diving into Big Crown territory...

@Ubi, I can screw 1/2 of a turn with my fingers, but not that much more. This is probably because the crown and the inner gasket are new.

With a piece of cloth to don't hurt my fingers, I can get 3/4 of a turn, but it become nearly impossible to unscrew with naked fingers at this point... :)

I think it's impossible to go more than 3/4 of a turn without reducing the thickness of the crown inner gasket.

Thank you for descending from the Patekosphere to build this beauty, ubi! :)

Truer words were never spoken.  :notworthy:   Every time I see a "Just something I distractedly threw together" post by Ubi I know I'll have chest pains.

post-32-0-87089400-1383327314_thumb.jpg

With a piece of cloth to don't hurt my fingers, I can get 3/4 of a turn, but it become nearly impossible to unscrew with naked fingers at this point... :)

Valty, you want to be really careful doing that.  It's a brass crown screwing onto steel threads and you can strip the crown pretty easily.

I have a solution for you:  send me your nasty NOS crown that won't screw down far enough  :thumbdown:  and I'll send you my gorgeous Minh Quy crown that looks the same and screws down a full 1-1/4 turns  :tu:

Valty, you want to be really careful doing that.  It's a brass crown screwing onto steel threads and you can strip the crown pretty easily.

I have a solution for you:  send me your nasty NOS crown that won't screw down far enough  :thumbdown:  and I'll send you my gorgeous Minh Quy crown that looks the same and screws down a full 1-1/4 turns  :tu:

You always make me laugh a lot when you are *trying* to make a gorgeous deal :D :D

More seriously, thanks you very much for the advise, I didn't know the crown was in brass... It really looks like steel... I'll be careful with this. The cloth was only to test how much turns 1/4 of turn I can get :)

BTW, are you looking for a gen 800 / 8000 NOS combo ? I still have one extra set... Not cheap though, but probably cheaper than VRF anyways...

Moment of truth... Just got out of the shower with this thing strapped to my wrist...

We'll see how water tight 3/4 of a turn is...

:)

You are crazy, Mr. Ubi... :) :)

I suppose the leak, if there is any, will probably comes from the plexiglass...

(But, now thinking you bought a $15 crown... :D)

All good. At least for showering :)

For any further submersion, I'll need to get a proper pressure test done...

If it survived a shower, I'd suggest the faucet test, and then go from there :good::drinks: (I put mine under the faucet before a shower :D )

Ubi, a watch that's been artificially aged is pretty easy to tell.  Even when done very, very carefully the eye still sees things subconsciously that the conscious eye doesn't.  The piece just "looks odd".  You'd never be able to say what it is, but it's there.

With my aging I use pretty dramatic methods :whistling: to get the correct overall shape then it takes months of very mild abuse (oops I banged it into a doorframe!) followed by polishing it on t-shirts, jeans, etc. to smooth out the micro-damage.  Focus on the areas you shaped manually, and let time and tons of elbow grease smooth and polish them.  As that happens the bezel will get polished too, and the brass will begin to show.

My Little Crown has been about 3 years of wear and t-shirt polishing to get the knurling on the bezel slightly rounded over, and some brass showing.  I also handle it with grubby hands, else the areas between the knurling are too clean.  I'm starting the process on the Big Crown, and it's off to a good start but a long way from where I want it to be.  The brass is just starting to show around the lip on top that retains the insert.

You get to go down this road with the bezel one time.  Plan each step and go slow.  Put away the sandpaper and go slow.

I have to agree with our Alaskan friend. I've got an old MBW1665 on my wrist and it was 'aged' artificially some years ago. It was never too convincing. Since then I have worn it and subjected it to - shall we say "natural abuse" and there is no doubt that the randomness of genuine dings and scrapes is a thing that can not be replicated. that, combined with natural wear from use is a priceless combination.

• 3 weeks later...