When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

For Mike on a Bike...A quick history of the boards

KB

Mike a quick history lesson.

The first true forum was TRC, the was a board before that but not a true forum.

The Admin from TRC is the same man who is your current Admin.

Around 10 years or so ago a member from TRC (Blade) broke off and formed the original RWG.

The original RWG had a VIP lounge which was actually invisible from the rest of the board and was an invite from Blade only section, in VIP we (as well as enjoying the free beer and strippers) helped keep the board running smooth by putting the right word in the right ear at the right time (Big Brother :D)...no...seriously the VIP contained the boards leading members who were not actually part of the Admin team so Blade respected our opinions on the direction the board should take.

Then one day Blade disappeared....

The situation we were faced with was the loss of all that we had built once the server fees became due, so we mounted an extensive internet search to try and find out where he had gone or what had happened to Blade.

With the deadline looming and still no trace of Blade we started exploring our options for a new forum.

At this point I approached the Admin of TRC about the possibility of hosting a new forum and after an initial reluctance we were lucky to convince him to take us on.

A vote was put to the members of VIP and the Admin team about forming this board and the rest as they say is history.

At the same time the board seniors were setting up this forum another new member of our board (with the aid of one senior member) was busily PMing members about the start up of his new board RWI, this was totally unsanctioned by anyone in the Admin team or VIP group and as it turned out the young member, come RWI Admin, ended up scamming a lot of people out of money.

But again this is history as the last 2 Admins of RWI have done a respectable job and turned it into a nice forum.

So anyway the day of reckoning arrived, the new RWG and RWI were formed on the same day and then....Blade came back...he paid the server fee's on the old board and then largely disappeared again. 

The old board turned into the wild west as Blade was the only one with the keys so no one could moderate the board.

Then eventually Blade decided not to keep funding the old board anymore so the guys who had found their way there did the whole thing again and formed the 3rd RWG.

Meanwhile after a spat on RWI a young member broke away set up RG scammed lots of members out of money and disappeared. Again it's history as RG has been run well for a while now by the new Admin.

The only other piece missing is that after another spat Wrist Check was set up and that is basically where we are at now.

Ken

Thanks Ken. :notworthy:  As you may be aware Greg over at RWG biz recently did a similar post on board history ( a bit more lengthy) and from a somewhat different perspective.

It is also an interesting read guys pop over check it out . That is where I got my info in regard which correlates with yours.

Thanks Ken,

That goes back a long way. One thing that you didn't mention that over the years, TRC was a very well run and well received board., lots of vey knowledgeable members and a generally nice place to be. There were a few renegades, but all in all the tone was to me, very much like here, not over moderated, but civil disobedience was frowned on!! Sad to say, over time, TRC sort of withered away, less and less folks visiting, less posts, hardly any watches and parts for sale. It was sad to all of us who had been around for a while, as it was sort of like watching a friend die a slow death. I think that all of us who were members were sad to see it go, but at  the same time, it had run it's course, and RWG was a fresh start for a whole lot of us who came over on the first few days this forum opened up. I suppose the TRC death spiral might have started when blade disappeared, and the forum became pretty much unmoderated, seems like for a while there, it got pretty wild and wooly., and from that a lot of members stopped participating. 

My facts may be skewed, but that seems to be how I remember back them!

Yes Arthur TRC was always the premier board and it was sad to see if fade away.

MoaB yes Greg has a different perspective and it is wrong, he simply was not around when all the above happened.

Ken

The original major posters over the years at TRC were the original major posters here at the rebirthed RWG, after Blake's explosion.  

This forum is far and away as much emblematic of the original TRC as any rep forum ever created on the net.  Thomas is and always will be THE MAN in the rep forum world.

All the other rep forums are wanabe's.

Although Blake picked up the ball toward the end of TRC, Thomas is directly responsible for the rep watch forum's continued popularity and knowledge of the finest articles, member posts, and list of reputable Trusted Dealers listings, on this, or any other rep watch forum anywhere.

Kudo's to Thomas.  

Kudo's too to the only REAL one and only.... RWG.

• Like 2

Man, this thread has brought out the Alumni.  Welcome back, gents!

Frankt, they say nothing ever really goes away on the Internet.

Et voila'

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.replicacollector.com/members/index.php?

I only get an "error" screen when I try to open the site... :huh:

I couldn't get anywhere in that site either. Tried to log in, couldn't. tried to register as a new member, couldn't do that either. Would love to go back and read some of the old posts, but ain't happening with that site.