When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Date overlay tool in the works

jerkstore

I find DWO alignment to be overly time consuming and sometimes frustrating.

I had been thinking about how to speed up the process with a 3d printed tool until Bonesey mentioned something I hadn't considered. Because there are 31 dates on the wheel, they are not spaced such that you can make four windows at 3,6,9, and 12. So I worked it out using a little trig.

I made this prototype "dial" that should aid in the centering process... Here it is overlayed on a genuine 3035 date wheel:

BDA04279-1DED-40BB-AFD0-D8C39CB71E9A_zps

9080AC7F-02B6-4EDF-8456-99EA4504CE12_zps

It has five windows cut out around the dial, and three slots intended for manual alignment. The two small holes are meant for replacement dial feet that you just slide in from above and glue in place. These are located for an ETA 2824/2836.

I still need to test it to see how well it works, but things look promising: the 3035 dates seem to fit properly, as expected. Bonesey is planning to include something like it as part of his 3d printed tools suite:

http://www.replica-w...ad.php?t=164231

Any comments or ideas about how to improve the tool are appreciated.

Some possible improvements:

1. More windows

2. A small cutout to push on the overlay at 3 o'clock

3. Different material. This one is printed in somewhat rough plastic. It might catch the DWO if it's too close. The vendor also offers smoother choices.

I can make a similar tool for virtually any dial, though my program is currently configured for a date window at 3 o'clock, centered over the cannon pinion hole.

Hope I'm not stepping on toes Jerk. Using you're spreadsheet of figures you gave me I've produced this (as seen on RWI).

Movement holder for 2836/2824 movements:

TLK9WP2.png

http://www.sculpteo.com/en/design/eta-2836-movement-holder-for-dwo-alignment-to-1/7x62Ag7s?basket=1&noclickredirect=1&uuid=GKmjv4GFOlTqrVk1l6HAMh#tab=material

And on top of that the alignment frame with hopefully enough room to allow you to adjust the DWO with everything in place. 

5FD5Q1W.png

http://www.sculpteo.com/en/design/rolex-dwo-alignment-frame/okaG5NWA?basket=1&noclickredirect=1&uuid=ZvdFhPx8fBStimJyzSiclb#tab=material

Full render of the tools. 

5qtSyR6.png

Edited by bones
  • Like 1

Looks great, Bones! I like all the open space. Work smart, not hard.

Fingers crossed on my math :)

Took a bloody age to work out how to skeletonise it but retain enough material to make it still printable.

It should work for both gen and eta dwo as although the numbering goes backwards on eta dwo they should still retain the same relative positions.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Mine arrived recently, so will post up a tutorial later today.  Need to find something suitable to use as feet as to fit the tool to the movement for aligning DWO.

Edited by SSTEEL

• 2 years later...

@bones @jerkstore I'm looking at renewing my two DWO tools as I have worn one out, and the skeleton version, I screwed it up trying to modify it.  Would you be so kind to upload both products again please as they are both no longer showing available.