When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

White Omega SMP 300m Chrono Diver

thorne

I have been looking for a SMP chrono for quite some time now, and then these popped up for sale on Angus' site. Too good a deal to pass up - I got the white dial which is hard to find. Here are some pics of the gen and the rep (Angus' pics). Watch got through shipping and customs etc and to my doorstep in 3 days from CN, has to be some kind of record for India. Watch feels well built and gen-like. Oiled up the bracelet and now it feels quite comfortable on the wrist. I need to be careful about stripping the crown which is a known issue with these reps.

Gen

Posted Image

Rep

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Plan to replace the bezel insert with a gen insert if I can find one. Other flaws I could differentiate from gen are:

Seanaster on clasp

Clasp script is not etched

Dial script block is higher on gen

Rep dial script print has minute gaps

Date font is wrong

Subdials are minutely larger on gen

No number on caseback

Caseback wave pattern flat and not raised

Gen subdial hands are orange-ish rather than red

Bezel insert is all wrong of course

Cheers

T

• 4 weeks later...

Not really my taste in watch, gen or rep, but I remember the cases on these had the He valve right at 10 as on the gen, whereas the non chrono model almost always has the He valve right at 10 as well which is incorrect for the other model of watch.  The dial in your photo looks flat.  At first inspection this looked fine to me but then I started to notice the replies and took another look.

Most people out in the wild won't know anything too but what I have noticed in this hobby it is about the owner's preference not those out in general public.  As it should be.

This, without a doubt, was the crappiest rep I have EVER bought, the quality of the case/bracelet was just horrible.

Already stripped it for parts and threw the rest away. In process of building a franken like matrixmouse's gen - but with blue bezel, need to get a couple more parts. Once its done I'll get pics up.

Good luck thorne sounds like a great project. Have a gen dial from the same era as my great white. The gen dial before the red seamaster text has a few more lume points. Omega has still kept the calibre 1164 which is actually a modified eta 7750. I still think Andrew is selling a good rep. Would recommed a service by a good watchmaker like Rolexman for the a7750 though as most have issues. I was thinking of making a franken but saved and got a gen. It is actually very underpriced on the used market.

Heres a picture of gen dial and parts and rep bracelet.

post-56196-0-83635700-1388035571_thumb.j