When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 005 Question from a newbie

TerraZ

Hi all!

PAM-virgin here! I want to buy a 005 soon but I can't seem to find the differences between these two models:

PAM 005 V2.5 N-Factory ($258)

and

PAM 005 K-Series (KW) ($278)

I think they both look great, and found a lot of reviews on the Noob one but no review of the KW.

I tried looking for ALE's Reference PAM Review Guide to check out wich one I should take, but RWI is down and I can't get access to it using Google's Cached link for some reason.

Any help would be much appreciated ;)

Ale does go to a lot of effort and for the community as a whole he makes a great contribution... I applaud his time and effort :)

But a lot of what you read is flawed or based on a false premis.... however as a guide for a noob who dont give 2 hoots about PAMs like alot of guys do and are only bothered about having ' the best sub' then I think its a great source of info... If you want a decent OTB PAM rep and cant be bothered to do your own research and study and learn about the models or the brand yourself then it is a great lazy mans guide..and anyone who relies on it gets what they deserve... ;)

As for the 005 the best OTB version was the H makers K

However you will not find one ..or its unlikely so try a WTB if you want something like that...

If you just want to order one from the dealer then as Hubrisin says go for the current Noob version...which is a decent OTB rep...and I am sure will meet your critical needs ;)

Ale does go to a lot of effort and for the community as a whole he makes a great contribution... I applaud his time and effort :)

But a lot of what you read is flawed or based on a false premis.... however as a guide for a noob who dont give 2 hoots about PAMs like alot of guys do and are only bothered about having ' the best sub' then I think its a great source of info... If you want a decent OTB PAM rep and cant be bothered to do your own research and study and learn about the models or the brand yourself then it is a great lazy mans guide..and anyone who relies on it gets what they deserve... ;)

As for the 005 the best OTB version was the H makers K

However you will not find one ..or its unlikely so try a WTB if you want something like that...

If you just want to order one from the dealer then as Hubrisin says go for the current Noob version...which is a decent OTB rep...and I am sure will meet your critical needs ;)

Regardless of where ALE gets his info and images from (Google Images or own source), I think the guide is a great starting point (especially for someone like me with little experience on this matter) to start your research with.

It was never my goal to be lazy, I also did a lot of research on this (and other) forums, but can't seem to find many info on the KW-one. I think it's a new rep? There is a lot of info about the Noob and H-factory ones.

I think the sausage dial on the KW 005 looks better than the one on the Noob 005, but it's hard to compare the two without proper images/review/comparison..

Mark the KW version off your list.  It has several visible issues.  For starters, the cg lever pin is out of place (easily seen), case lug profile is visibly off and the case back too thin.

KW 1950 case shape 44mm models are better, but the standard Luminor case sets not so much, and why ALE doesn't compare them as often with Noob and HF.

Edited by projectologist
  • Like 1

Regardless of where ALE gets his info and images from (Google Images or own source), I think the guide is a great starting point (especially for someone like me with little experience on this matter) to start your research with.

It was never my goal to be lazy, I also did a lot of research on this (and other) forums, but can't seem to find many info on the KW-one. I think it's a new rep? There is a lot of info about the Noob and H-factory ones.

I think the sausage dial on the KW 005 looks better than the one on the Noob 005, but it's hard to compare the two without proper images/review/comparison..

I aint sure why you are quoting my post mate especially in relation to what you wrote...

If you think the lazy quote was aimed at you then I am sure if you reread my comments you will see it wasnt..and nor was it intended to... as for his sources nor did I mention that.. my comment about lazy is to those who rely on it... or treat it as gospel... rather than use it as an aide memoire etc... nothing more mate :)

All I can see from what you have written is that you seem to re express what I said...

As for you comments regarding the 005 dial ... well thats a personal opinion fortunately I have had the gen so it is easier for me to make judgements but reaching your own opinion was the main point of what I wrote.. :)

Making comparisons is there for anyone to do... unfortunately for some it will require an effort to do so and the search of other forums including gen forums and other less obvious sources etc to do so... which in turn will alow that person to reach their own conclusion..

As for opinions generally it can be subjective as well as the more obvious objectiveness as many details and flaws vary so to simply say one maker is better than another is not unfortunately always the possible... what you end up needing to do unless you go franken or hybrid is for someone to make a selection based on thier own preferences..so the dial may mean more to someone than say the case does or the CG etc

So when you get guys expressing their opinion usually it is based on those factors rather than specific details..  and is the resason why most guys ask others..it isnt necessarily to say what particular detail is better than another...

So when a guy posts on here and asks which is curently the best rep version of a particular brand or model that is generally what they get in the replies... whereas if they ask specifics about those versions for example which ahs better dial or which has the better case etc that is where more objectivity can be made.. because it is more focussed and specific

Just to be clear though the above is a general comment..

I aint sure why you are quoting my post mate especially in relation to what you wrote...

If you think the lazy quote was aimed at you then I am sure if you reread my comments you will see it wasnt..and nor was it intended to... as for his sources nor did I mention that.. my comment about lazy is to those who rely on it... or treat it as gospel... rather than use it as an aide memoire etc... nothing more mate :)

All I can see from what you have written is that you seem to re express what I said...

My bad, it was not addressed to you in specific, should have quoted better.

Thanks for the input! (all of you).

I think I will go with Noob, and later on get some other bits and pieces to mod it.

My bad, it was not addressed to you in specific, should have quoted better.

Thanks for the input! (all of you).

I think I will go with Noob, and later on get some other bits and pieces to mod it.

No worries mate...of late guys seem to be reacting to my posts..I guess I am just a bit sensitive because I dont know what I am saying or if its the way I am saying it ... is for some reason producing exclamation or some sort of competitive reaction...and I never intend to do that in anything I write...

Nor do I seek it ...its all about sharing and  expressing all our views or opinions... so for me in most cases related to these great watches there is no black or white ..just grey .. :)

I think thats a good choice overall mate and I am sure you will love it....

My only word of caution would be the time of year... consider the method etc for the shipping ...