When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1016 First Project Question!

innocenti_k

Hi there :) I've been a rep guy for a while and I'm looking at starting a project of my own for a watch that I love!

I have been studying the project builds of other guys on this forum for a 1016 and have finally come to a couple of questions - would really appreciate if a pro could give me some help. 

I am thinking of getting a 1601 case (due to better availability) and a Yuki space dweller dial. On Yuki's site - it says that this will only fit Rolex cal.1560/1570/1530/1520 movements.

Question 1:

If I buy a used Rolex Datejust 1601 with 1570 movement - am I naive for thinking I can just change the dial, hands, put a plain bezel and change the crystal?

Question 2: 

Will I have any problems fitting an original 1520, 1530, 1560 movement into my 1601 case?

Question 3:

If I buy an Air-King 5500 which has a 1520 movement - supposedly the Yuki dial will fit according to his specs - but will the dial fit in the case as I understand the 5500 case is 34mm not the 1601 36mm case?

Thanks all in advance!!! :)

Welcome to RWG! Ambitious start :)

The 160x used 1560/1570 movements, so those will fit. Given that you're intending to use a Yuki dial, are you however sure that you need to put out $$$ and insecurity for the old vintage gen movement? I would at least recommend you getting a movement ring for say a slow best eta movement.

I have a 16013 midcase for sale here btw if you're interested, think it would be way better than a 5500 case at least... ;)

I actually have a full gen 1603 case that I have been trying to get rid of if you are interested. 1603 mid case, case back, gen plexi crystal, engine turned bezel. I have a brand new case back gasket for it as well. Was originally going to do a 1603 DJ franken but moved on to a 162xx build.

Question 1:

If I buy a used Rolex Datejust 1601 with 1570 movement - am I naive for thinking I can just change the dial, hands, put a plain bezel and change the crystal?

Question 2: 

Will I have any problems fitting an original 1520, 1530, 1560 movement into my 1601 case?

Question 3:

If I buy an Air-King 5500 which has a 1520 movement - supposedly the Yuki dial will fit according to his specs - but will the dial fit in the case as I understand the 5500 case is 34mm not the 1601 36mm case?

1. That's about right.  You could consider enlarging the lugholes, but the 1601 is notoriously difficult to drill.  There's not a lot of metal to work with on those skinny lugs.

2. As ogladio pointed out, you'll be fine. 

3. The dial will fit on the movement, but not in the case.  Yuki sells several 5500 Explorer dials, if you want to go in that route. 

Interestingly, genuine 5500 Explorer dials are hardly ever listed for sale.  There's a guy on VRM who wants EUR 1000 for a gilt.

Thanks guys :) especially on the movement tip -

1) Will I have any problems with an ETA movement and the hands that come with my Yuki dial?

2) I guess I'm right in saying an ETA 2824 will be fine right and should fit in the 16xx case?

3) Also - ingod's site doesn't seem to have anything available - am I looking in the wrong place?

You guys are awesome - monkeypunch I was planning to NATO mine too & lhooq you were my inspiration!!

1) Will I have any problems with an ETA movement and the hands that come with my Yuki dial?

2) I guess I'm right in saying an ETA 2824 will be fine right and should fit in the 16xx case?

3) Also - ingod's site doesn't seem to have anything available - am I looking in the wrong place?

1. If they come as a set, then the Yuki hands will be for a Rolex c.15xx i.e. they won't fit on an ETA.  Better order an ETA-compatible set if you've decided on that movement.

2. Yes, it's been done before, for both Explorer and Datejust frankens.

3. See here: http://www.ingod44.com/rolex-explorer/

InGod's dial -at least, the one that's on my old Space-Dweller franken- is excellent.  The accuracy and detail of the printing is unmatched even by dials costing three times as much. 

Good luck!

• 2 months later...