When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

For the pilot in you: B-Uhr from Laco

Donerix 2.0

The last week has been a torture of waiting for my new watch, but living in Nicaragua you get used to it. No 1-day shipping here!
But I got lucky in the end and a friend who was coming down here brought me my first Laco, the Dortmund 45mm.
At first I wasn't sure about which size to choose. I wanted the watch to look big but not ridiculous. It turned out the 45mm is exactly what I had in mind (I have a 7" wrist).
I have to be honest: I was a bit underwhelemed when I took the watch out of the (nice) presentation box at first. The strap that comes with it feels a bit like pleather and has very little texture. The watch also felt unexpectedly light for it's size (but then I took off a PAM 243 before I strapped it on which probably influenced how it felt on my wrist. 
While the build quality is outstanding the watch just feels a bit too "new" for a WW II inspired time piece - at least for my personal taste.
Good thing I had already made two straps while waiting for the watches arrival: one from a vintage light olive French ammo pouch and one from some old leather luggage I had.
Nevertheless I am seriously considering taking the watch apart, aging the dial and hands and replace the sapphire ( not the greatest AR BTW) with a domed plexi like the original watch. I already found a nice and thick plexi dome with a 40.8mm diameter from an old Panerai project in my parts box that seems to be the right size (maybe somebody can chime in here and confirm the size of the sapphire).
After wearing the watch for a full day though it is really growing on me more and more.
Here some pictures:

B-Uhr45C-2_zps089c5257.jpg

I pulled an old airplane prop out of my basement:

B-Uhr45B-2_zps494cf45c.jpg

B-Uhr45A-2_zpsfed3f821.jpg

B-Uhr45D-2_zps059e4b94.jpg

And some more lightly edited:

B45-SS5-2_zps322a9f6e.jpg

B45-SS4-2_zpsc727a6ae.jpg

B45-SS1-2_zpsb6b4b8d4.jpg

B45-SS2-4_zpsa2b52357.jpg

B45-SS3-2_zps77a9d7f2.jpg

B-Uhr45E-2_zpsd01090b4.jpg

Love the lume:

B45-lume-2_zpsfc6561b0.jpg

Already took the watch for a swim, no problems:

B45-underwaterlume-2_zpsb19892f1.jpg

Looks lovely.

I can see what you mean that it looks very new, it'd be nice to have two, one aged with a domes plexi, and one new as they will both look good.

Is this titanium? The case looks as if it's Ti, and that would explain why it feels so light.

The case is stainless steel. On Laco's website it says "sand blasted" but I would think it is "bead blasted".

I think it is light because of the ETA 2801 in there which is a rather small movement for this size watch.

Over at HF they are working on a very similar case project which might be a cheaper way to make a vintage version.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...