When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

mid 70's 5514 COMEX with 5513 dial

fitch

Hi guys,

Finally it’s ready......

My “NOS look and feel” mid 70’s 5514 COMEX with 5513 dial (reference: http://doubleredseadweller.com/watch-info/comex/comex-5514.html)

A list of the parts used:

HH 5514 case-set

Rolex T-19 service plexi

Rolex 5513 service insert w/ custom pearl

Rolex 702 crown

Athaya 7020 tube (a gen 7020 tube wouldn’t fit the case, athaya’s tube fitted perfectly!)

Rolex 1520 movement

Rolex 93150 bracelet w Rolex 580 endlinks

Rolex 5513 feet first tritium dial

Rolex 1665 tritium hands

The modds were mild on this one; I slightly grinded/sanded down the crownguards because I wanted to have them just a bit smaller so they would match nicely with the 702 crown. I also drilled out the innerpart of the case were the tube goes in just a bit so the tube would fit nice and snug to the case. The insert was aged and bleached mildly; just enough so it would match the dial perfectly J The pearl was custom made out of acrylics and it matches the ivory of the tritium dial and hands J

I will make additional pictures in the next few days but just to give you an impression:

5514-1.jpg

5514-2.jpg

5514-3.jpg

5514-4.jpg

Thanks for watching :tu:

• Like 2

been agonizing over it. I dont want a 703 on this build and we've been going crazy over the 702 tube issue. I have both 702 and 703 combos. Gonna try the tube from Athaya like yours and save myself the OCD.

@cc33 - yes, he wins. I havent even started on my case yet. That gen pre comex dial that I hunted down like a rabid beast is burning a hole in my parts box

I just drilled out a little bit on the innerpart on the case (the area were the tube goes in); mind you; if you will use a 702 tube without a gasket between the tube and case (which i think is the standard way) I don't think you need to drill any extra out but you surely need to do this if you want to use a 703V tube. I also used a gasket for my 702 tube and used blue threadlocker as well and in order for me to get the tube snug against the case I had to remove some so i drilled out (a very little bit).

Looks like nearly all produced HH cases will have gen dials in them soon... Great work gathering parts and getting this together with a coherent feel!

Coherent was the goal! I love the way the texture and color of the insert matches the texture and color of the dial, as well as the matching tritium of both the dial and hands :)