When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Big Pilot 5002 or 5004?

astonjenks

Dear Fellow members

Today I had a couple of new watches arrive one from MOAB the Breitling Legende originally from Pete (well traveled in a few weeks!) and a lovely IWC Big Pilot 5002 from our friend in the Philippines Richard Lawson.

The 5002 BP was due to the fact that I love my BP5004 and have posted numerous photos of her in the last few months especially when I had the new Peter Croc fitted which is sublime. 

I was keen to see and feel the difference between the older, more traditional model and the later 5004. I polished and cleaned the 5002 and have attached a few photos of the girls together, which do I prefer? I'm unsure, they both have a different feel and look but clearly have the same lineage, I'm very pleased!

Regards

AJ

post-48021-0-13805000-1387550614_thumb.j

post-48021-0-05520500-1387550625_thumb.j

post-48021-0-39849500-1387550637_thumb.j

post-48021-0-96228600-1387550649_thumb.j

post-48021-0-93748600-1387550660_thumb.j

Andy I have had 2 Gens come in in last two days w/ two more on the way plus the Glycine earlier this week, I think the wife is going to notice! :bangin: :bangin:

PS I may have another in or on the way I can not remember...............................

Where the heck is my Squale anyway better go thru stock!

I know what you mean my good friend, I only just remembered I have the stunning Baron arriving this week from Legend! :)

AJ

PS I do not think anytime soon I will let either of these IWC's go, I have just ordered another Peter Croc strap for the 5002 as they are awesome.

MM

You're right, the 5002 does appear smaller due to the numbers being positioned nearer the centre of the dial as well as there being more markings which 'close' it down a tad. The 5002 is however more in the style of the original Big Pilots dials.

When you ask does it wear bigger than a PAM, I assume you mean a 44mm PAM? If so then yes it does a tad even though there is only a few mm's in the overall lug to lug size, see attached. I do not have a 47 PAM here at the moment due to work being done on them by Marlin, however I would guess that the BP wears very similar to a 47 PAM, hope that helps.

Regards

AJ.

post-48021-0-77178500-1387619224_thumb.j

I think you're right. I would guess you're a 6.5 - 6.75 inch wrist. Still, you can get away with some 40-42 stunners that look like I've borrowed my kids watch when I wear them. There are some real stunners out there that I would love to wear but under 44 tends to feel and look just too small for me.

Regards

AJ

New model; brown strap! Only try. :-)

5286298287_daf427a37b_b.jpg

I Simply love the brown strap:

5286298567_7e3333c022_b.jpg

OMG!

Very nice Strap, (and pictures)

Were did you get this Strap? Link please ... :)

Ok, thanks. Now I know where to get the Strap, then ;)

If I had used my eyes correct, I should have spotted the working PR, and the correct place of the PR dial, - telling me it's Gen.! :)

Damn nice watch ... Almost as nice as my Rep. (just kidding)

Cheers

• Like 1

I think you're right. I would guess you're a 6.5 - 6.75 inch wrist. Still, you can get away with some 40-42 stunners that look like I've borrowed my kids watch when I wear them. There are some real stunners out there that I would love to wear but under 44 tends to feel and look just too small for me.

Regards

AJ

My wrist is indeed 6.5 - 6.75. The lugs of my PAM's are precisely on the edge of my wrist. If they exceed, the watch is too big in my opinion. But then again, it's only 3mm. I might take the risk since a new 5002 goes for $238...

I have the same sice wrist as you.

Here is a picture of my 5004. It's big, but not too big I think.

It depends if your wrist is flat or round, where the watch sits, if you know what I mean.

Tq79SBo.jpg

I have the same sice wrist as you.

Here is a picture of my 5004. It's big, but not too big I think.

It depends if your wrist is flat or round, where the watch sits, if you know what I mean.

Tq79SBo.jpg

Thanks! Yeah I know what you mean, my watch usually sits right after the bone. Luckily my wrist is rather flat...