When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SW200 NOT "Drop-IN" replacement for 2824-2

imajedi

Hey all,

Just wanted to drop a few comments here to alert people that the Sellita SW200 is not just a "drop-in" replacement for your 2824-2.  I bought a 42mm Omega off a member here and every few hours the thing would stop.  If you jolted it really hard it would start up again.  I've had a few watches like this in the past and usually it means the movement is dirty.  Rather than clean the movement, which I don't know how to do, I thought I'd just replace it.

All the research I could find said the SW200 is a direct replacement for the 2824-2 so I thought I'd give it a try because it was significantly cheaper.

DATE WHEELS ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE

The first issue came when I tried to swap the date wheels.  Although functionally the swap worked fine, the printing on the SW200 is a little low on the date wheel tangs while the printing on the 2824-2 is a little hight on the tangs.  Consequently, your dates don't line up in the date window at all if you try and swap out the date wheels.  Moral - if you buy a SW200 you're going to be stuck with the date wheel it came with.

DIAL FEET ARE NOT COMPATIBLE

The next issue was the dial feet.   The SW200 had nothing to accomodate the dial feet on my Omega 42mm dial.  Unless I wanted to cut the feet.  It wasn't going to work.

Bottom line, I tried to save some money and instead wasted some.  I'll keep the movement with the hopes it may come in handy sometime in the future.  I orderd a replacement 2824.  Hope this helps someone else make the right decision the first time.

- Jedi -

I've used a sellita before but didn't try to interchange parts, same with Seagul. I think the moral of the story is that these are Clone movements not 1:1 copies. Overall they are a 1:1 swap but not necessarily the individual parts, but we knew that with the Asian clones so not much different to be expected with a Swiss clone.

There was a thread here a few days back, maybe on the Rolex forum about that swap, and both of the things you encountered were discussed there. I looked for the thread, but couldn't find it. I do remember there was some discussion about which one of the Sellita movements would "drop in" to replace a 2836 or a 2824. I did find something on the Watch U Seek forum and they are saying the Sellita dial feet will fit an ETA movement. You just have to make sure you are replacing the correct model Sellita movement. It is supposed to be a drop in replacement for the ETA movement. the biggest problem we have with reps is the lack of uniformity in relation to parts. Some parts will interchange with no problem, others that look like they should fit fine won't. When you deal with genuine watches, dials, movements, you can expect that replacement parts that are supposed to fit, will fit, not so with reps.

To say the dial feet are different is just wrong. Sellita was making movements and movement parts for ETA long before they went solo and almost all parts of the 2824-2 and 2836-2 are directly interchangeable unless you know something that the rest of the internet has missed. For years they came out of the same factories. Sellita at one time was actually making branded movements for ETA.

If, for some reason you cut the dial feet, now the date wheel is not lining up correctly, it might be not the fault of the movement.

Also, clones have notoriously bad date wheels.

I also read that thread. It was talking about how the SW200 was a replacement for the 2824 and the SW220 was a replacement for the 2836. I don't believe that thread had any discussion of the dial feet or date wheel.

I did not cut the dial feet, there was no where to stick them so I order an ETA 2824. You could tell without the dial on that the date alignments were way off just by the way they aligned with the stem. When I compared the date wheels I could see the difference in print. I will try and post some pics.

If I line up the crown positions you can see these two movements are not the same. The one on the right with the date wheel was sold to me as a SW200. The one on the left (gold) came out of my Omega 42mm and I just assumed it was a 2824-2. Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here?uvura2ed.jpg

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I was searching some info and began reading this...

Any one concerned that you received an Omega with a Asian Movement?  I would have assumed it was in-house? No? was it supposed to be a knock off? Just wondering.  Good information however Ciao!

1 hour ago, dpeco33 said:

I know this is an old thread, but I was searching some info and began reading this...

Any one concerned that you received an Omega with a Asian Movement?  I would have assumed it was in-house? No? was it supposed to be a knock off? Just wondering.  Good information however Ciao!

:unsure: