When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken PO 42mm Project Advice please!

Gamma

Hi All,

Am now getting around to seriously looking at this Franken project. Im looking for advice as i want to build something a bit special if i can, but just want to make sure I don't make any silly mistakes along the way!

Ive done a fair bit of research on the forums, so have a good idea of the parts i need, but need some advice on the below points if anyone can help me?...

I purchased a V5 42mm PO with black bezel w/ white numbers, and am very happy with it as a rep, and understand it to be one of the best cases/cases for a good franken(except for the dummy He valve).

As i have brought the cheapest movement, the Asian 4813, from my research on here it seems that its too much of a ball ache to fit gen dial and hands to this movement, so i want to get a new gen swiss movement that i can fit all the gen parts to, and then install this into the rep case.

So, firstly, what movement would be the best to use for this, i have read that 2824-2 is a good reliable movement that will accept the gen stuff.

Can anyone confirm this would be the best way to go? And if so, where would you recommend to get the movement from? I can pick a gen swiss up off e-bay, and dont mind spending a bit on the movement, as i want something thats going to be a reliable.

If not the 2824-2 movement, then what movement would you suggest? And from where?..

The full list for the Franken is below:

Gen Swiss movement(model TBC...)

Gen Dial

Gen Hands

Gen Crown & Tube

Sunny Crystal

Eventually a gen bezel, although the bezel and pearl on mine are very good

So really i just need to confirm which movement is the best to use as the base.

I would also be interested in knowing if anyone out there knows of anyone in the EU(UK preferably) that could help me with the build, its something i could tackle myself, but i think for the best results, it would be better being done by someone who has done similar previously....

Appreciate any input guys, really keen to get this project started 

Merry Christmas to all forum members

I built mine using a noob lmpo as it has a great case and perfect ar. Also the crown and tube is perfect and he valve too. The bracelet was good too bit I fitted gen sels and clasp. I will find some pics as I regretfully sold it earlier. I fitted gen parts Dial Hands Dw Complete bezel assembly Sels Clasp And it looked superb. IMG_2138_zpscbaa7cdb.jpg

Edited by watcher

A 2824 would be a good movement and the gen dial, hands, date wheel should all fit

A 2892 would be even closer to gen though

What i'm looking for is reliability, as it is not an open caseback, it does not have to look gen. Quite a price difference between the 2 movements... is it worth going the extra for the 2892?..

I built mine using a noob lmpo as it has a great case and perfect ar. Also the crown and tube is perfect and he valve too.

The bracelet was good too bit I fitted gen sels and clasp.

I will find some pics as I regretfully sold it earlier.

I fitted gen parts

Dial

Hands

Dw

Complete bezel assembly

Sels

Clasp

And it looked superb.

IMG_2138_zpscbaa7cdb.jpg

Thats a real beaut mate! Shame i wasnt the one that bought it from you!! :)

Ive heard the LMPO case is v good, but also that the V5 is a good base for a franken

The gen dial and hands really pop out, that crystal is very good!

The only thing that has disappointed me about the V5 so far, is that the Crystal AR seems to scratch very easily, only noticeable at certain angles in the right light, and will obviously be solved with a gen or Sunnys crystal..

A comment has been made on one of the other forums in response to my post, that the actual cases might different from the V5 4813(that i have) to the V5 2824, and that this may cause me problems...

Can anyone confirm?..

My v5 2824 clone spec, with the following gen parts all sourced from Cousins UK:

Gen dial

Gen date wheel

Gen hands

Gen HE Valve (non-functioning)

Gen bezel and insert

Gen end links

Sunnydale Crystal

Haven't got round to the crown and tube yet. Got the parts, but to be honest the rep crown isn't a big tell compared to things like the bezel, pearl and HE valve (the rep version is way too tall). I would also say the gen end links are a bit of an indulgence. 

The main advantage of the LM case is the HE valve, much more gen-like, replacing the rep version is a bit of a job.

5asyqu3e.jpg

6e7amyru.jpg

y8u4a7yj.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A comment has been made on one of the other forums in response to my post, that the actual cases might different from the V5 4813(that i have) to the V5 2824, and that this may cause me problems...

I would also like to know this. I got a 2824 movement spacer for mine (4813 based V5). I can't see them making two different cases myself. I think it is just different size movement/dial spacers.

I would also like to know if you need to do anything special to fit a 2892 in there. I know pugwash did it, but the thread is lacking any details and he hasn't replied to my PM. I think he's busy with work and doesn't have much time to spend on the boards.

I asked the same question on RWI and didn't really get an answer.

I would also like to know this. I got a 2824 movement spacer for mine (4813 based V5). I can't see them making two different cases myself. I think it is just different size movement/dial spacers.

I would also like to know if you need to do anything special to fit a 2892 in there. I know pugwash did it, but the thread is lacking any details and he hasn't replied to my PM. I think he's busy with work and doesn't have much time to spend on the boards.

I asked the same question on RWI and didn't really get an answer.

I would be surprised if the 2 case were different, i don't see any reason why they would be... but this is china manufacturing we are talking about, no guarantee that 2 things come out the same..

But it should just be the dial/movement spacer that need be correct to suit the new movement, i understand that the gen dial locating lugs may need to be removed as they do not match with some movements(unless gen also)

I'm just stockpiling the required parts now, as i have spoken with someone who has experience with franken PO's and they are happy to carry out the work. 

So my main issue now is which movement to get, and from where....

I would be surprised if the 2 case were different, i don't see any reason why they would be... but this is china manufacturing we are talking about, no guarantee that 2 things come out the same..

But it should just be the dial/movement spacer that need be correct to suit the new movement, i understand that the gen dial locating lugs may need to be removed as they do not match with some movements(unless gen also)

I'm just stockpiling the required parts now, as i have spoken with someone who has experience with franken PO's and they are happy to carry out the work.

So my main issue now is which movement to get, and from where....

2892 will have the correct dial feet position and diameter to fit a 2824 spacer. It's the dial spacer I think that might be tricky.

Need sec @ 6 module for daytona.

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=165206

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Further to this thread, I just finished a trial fit of franken parts into a V5 4813 case.

I had no issues whatsoever except I couldn't get the bezel to seat onto case. No matter what I did. It was so tough. Anyone know if this should be an issue or was I doing something wrong? The rep bezel came off so easy it was funny.

I even used the brass (?) movement holder but flipped the securing tabs upside down to get a better seat of ring against case.

The gen crystal pressed on fine but was almost too easy so I do question the water proof-ness.

The tube was screwed in and I used pliers to remove. From what I read epoxy is a good option to seating new tube (which I don't have yet).

I also noted that the version 3 case and rep crown used a shorter stem into the 2824 clone movement. The gen crown is 'shorter' and will require a longer stem.

Hi all,

Further to this thread, I just finished a trial fit of franken parts into a V5 4813 case.

I had no issues whatsoever except I couldn't get the bezel to seat onto case. No matter what I did. It was so tough. Anyone know if this should be an issue or was I doing something wrong? The rep bezel came off so easy it was funny.

I even used the brass (?) movement holder but flipped the securing tabs upside down to get a better seat of ring against case.

The gen crystal pressed on fine but was almost too easy so I do question the water proof-ness.

The tube was screwed in and I used pliers to remove. From what I read epoxy is a good option to seating new tube (which I don't have yet).

I also noted that the version 3 case and rep crown used a shorter stem into the 2824 clone movement. The gen crown is 'shorter' and will require a longer stem.

Interesting progress!

Maybe you can post some pics?

Good luck on the final assembly, Dainese!

Interesting progress!

Maybe you can post some pics?

Good luck on the final assembly, Dainese!

Version 3 Case

Swiss 2824

Gen Dial

Gen Hands

Gen DW

Unknown crystal with good double AR (odd dull brown hue)

Gen Bezel insert

Rep bezel (Could NEVER pull the bezel off this too)

ezmu.jpg

7wjb.jpg

44g2.jpg

gas5.jpg

s2z5.jpg

8xq5.jpg

co7p.jpg

IMG_20130721_212535.jpg

Transplant into:

Version 5 Case 4813 shipped variant.

Swiss 2824

Gen Dial

Gen Hands

Gen DW

Gen crystal (more AR scuffs than I remembered and possibly marks on the inside too)

Rep bezel (Could NOTpull on the genuine bezel  :bangin:  )

rhg1.jpg

uwac.jpg

73ez.jpg

• 1 month later...

Araladiting a gen tube in is not a good option really, the gen tubes and crowns are known to fail fairly frequently, this I due to Their physical dimensions and thread sizes, they're quite weak.

Another option on this would be better long term, especially if this is a keeper!

Edited by Adrian

Araladiting a gen tube in is not a good option really, the gen tubes and crowns are known to fail fairly frequently, this I due to Their physical dimensions and thread sizes, they're quite weak.

Another option on this would be better long term, especially if this is a keeper!

Are you suggesting that the entire process of a glue in place to seat the tube is not sufficient or should one use epoxy?

I have paid for tube and stem and will be looking to assemble when they arrive and compelte the above pumpkin (finally!)

Does anyone know if the H4 cannon pinion is a worthy upgrade? Would be nice to get the stack a little higher.

Are you suggesting that the entire process of a glue in place to seat the tube is not sufficient or should one use epoxy?

I have paid for tube and stem and will be looking to assemble when they arrive and compelte the above pumpkin (finally!)

Does anyone know if the H4 cannon pinion is a worthy upgrade? Would be nice to get the stack a little higher.

This is my franken with a H3 cp upgrade

edy3e3u3.jpg

In my opinion it's worth...

• Like 1

Well, now your asking!, in my professional opinion I would not glue or araldite the case tube in, seriously who want to wander round with a watch on with a "cocked up" crown and tube?. I know lots of members do this as I suppose it does get you the desired result (gen crown and tube)

Yes,,if it fails, you can just heat the adhesive and re-glue another in, but wouldn't you be happier with a gen screw in case tube, that actually screws in, no glue !!

I know which I'd prefer !

This is my franken with a H3 cp upgrade

edy3e3u3.jpg

In my opinion it's worth...

Very nice sir. Is it a simple upgrade? H3 is shorter than h4?

Well, now your asking!, in my professional opinion I would not glue or araldite the case tube in, seriously who want to wander round with a watch on with a "cocked up" crown and tube?. I know lots of members do this as I suppose it does get you the desired result (gen crown and tube)

Yes,,if it fails, you can just heat the adhesive and re-glue another in, but wouldn't you be happier with a gen screw in case tube, that actually screws in, no glue !!

I know which I'd prefer !

I don't think it's worthwhile to get a gen case. I'd go second hand gen, considering the cases would be $5-700?

It is definitely a compromised option to glue the tube but seems to be the accepted method on the forums. I'd be willing to listen to other options but not for the cost of a gen case!

I used TC's movement with the H4 CP already installed. Worked perfectly and came out fantastic.

Very nice. Easy to do I imagine? H4 is the ideal option?

Thanks

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk