When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need some suggestions on a watch for my mom!

altesporsche

Hey fellas I am looking for some help picking out a watch for my mother. 

I have been searching for a few months now for ideas and so far she is only interested in the AP royal oak non chrono and the Explorer 1 ... my old man was making fun of her for wanting a rolie because he states its an old mans watch lol 

Anyways i was about to pull the trigger on an AP but she then decided she does not like the screws in the bezel... So i'm once again at a loss as to what i can show her ... 

Its has to be in the 38-41mm range and stainless or clean looking if another material, must be non chrono with a simple but functional dial styled like the above mentioned so not dressy but not too casual either.  Price range up to 10K and cant be girly lol so no diamonds etc .. 

So please send some ideas : )

Cheers !

C.

How about Cartier Santos 100.  I know it's only like 34mm...but it wears kind of big because it's pretty thick.  You can get stainless steel case with a wide variety of straps or you can get a steel bracelet as well.

This is what I'm giving my mom for her bday in two week.  http://www.tswatch2004.com/13756-ca13756.html

Or you can always get the bigger Santos or Roadster

Good luck!

If you have a price range up to 10K, there are hundreds of choices. I believe I would try to con her into a trip to a high end watch store like Tourneau, and see what she likes. It would be a shame to get her something that she doesn't really like, because she will never return it for fear of hurting your feelings, but she also won't wear it either.

Thanks fellas for the suggestions ! All great watches and ive showed her most of them prior to posting here : P lol   Unfortunately most have been short listed already...  Im trying to stay away from women's watches, she wants something mid case mens or unisex but not too flashy. 

I have bought her an Omega Constellation a few years ago and she has a few tags and other women's watches and she just dont wear them.. she wants something along the lines of an explorer 1 in style but not Rolex but sticking with the full stainless look .. its not a surprise gift for her as i have learned it is not wise to surprise my parents lol ( worst people to shop for !!  If they like something chances are they impulse buy , I always wondered where i got that from B)  )    

Nanuq I absolutely love that sub you have ... every time i see it i want it !!

Thank you sir, I got it from the widow of a late friend, a cranky, mean, amazing old Spec Ops diver. It took a long time to pull it back from its trashed condition.

I also bought a 70s Certina DS diver for my favorite wife, she's a real beauty (the watch ain't bad either). Maybe it will fit your bill?

certina2.jpg

certina3.jpg

certina4.jpg

Rolex 36mm does look good on women. If your mom tried it, I think she would wear it alot. This is one of my favorites. Stunning in person, but not over the top. Ive sold dozens of these to women, not just this dial, but many variations. 99% use them for a daily beater. Months later, they tell me how much they love it

post-43828-0-04705000-1388767546_thumb.j

• Like 1

Sorry been off the grid for a bit ( snowmobiling : P ) .. 

yea the DJ looks great .. i think im beating around the fact that both her and i have our mind set on a rolie but my old mans taunting has me out of sort lol ... im going to toss a few DJ pics her way and see what she thinks 

thanks a million fellas !

Rolex 36mm does look good on women. If your mom tried it, I think she would wear it alot. This is one of my favorites. Stunning in person, but not over the top. Ive sold dozens of these to women, not just this dial, but many variations. 99% use them for a daily beater. Months later, they tell me how much they love it

that is a nice looking watch. would like one for myself!

that is a nice looking watch. would like one for myself!

Give Matt a shout, he can build you  one, just about any dial combo, nice case and bracelet, genuine dial, crown crystal and probably the bezel, you would be the envy of the rest of the barrel racers !! 

I have a gold plated Airking that Matt built for my wife, neat watch on a President bracelet, I'll get it out and take a photo of it. It's a genuine case, crown, dial, crystal, only thing rep is the movement and hands plus the bracelet. Never tell this one from the real McCoy!!

Here is a photo of the Airking Precision Matt built for my wife. Pretty simple, no Date but a great watch to wear when she wants to dress up some, but not wear a watch with diamonds or a really formal dress watch. Great for everyday wear as well.

post-327-0-02528400-1389227178_thumb.jpg

Matt is mymanmatt, he posted that Datejust with the Roman numeral dial that you liked. He's a great guy, been building and repairing watches since the mid 80's. He's worked on genuine Rolex watches of mine as well as built three or four really nice Rolex reps for me. He has access to lots of genuine parts like dials crystals, bezels, crowns, etc., so he can build you something really special that you will wear and enjoy for years. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk