When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

REVIEW - Tag Special Edition Carrera date time fantasy model

Tag You're It

Here is my review of my first ever rep purchase, which I bought from replicamagic.hk (same as iparadisiac.co). I ordered prior to finding this forum and became very worried about my purchase.

This is a slightly edited repost from my review on another forum (http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=67438&st=0).

I ordered an automatic Tag Calibre 16 Carrera limited edition replica. As far as I can tell it based on a CV2A80 or CV2A17. But in reality it is a complete fantasy model with parts taken from many different models.  

I’ll start with cost:

Watch - £305 or $500

Postage - £36 or $59

Customs - £25 or $42

Total – £366 or $601

After over 3 weeks, due to delays on replicamagic’s end and customs here in the UK, I finally received the watch on Christmas eve.

First impressions are that it had a AAA sticker on it which may mean anything but it is a solid, good looking watch. The movement started up immediately and the sub dial second hand sweeps nicely. However the main/chronograph second hand appear to stutter between 15 and 45 seconds. I don’t know whether this will get better the more it is used. After a couple of weeks use I have also noticed that it runs slightly fast.

The lume works but does not appear to charge adequately from ambient light and needs 30 seconds under a lamp before going to bed. Subsequently it lasts through the night.

I've posted pics of my rep and the original below:

CIMG0465.JPG

CIMG0468.JPG

CIMG0472.JPG

CIMG0473.JPG

CIMG0478.JPG

CIMG0479.JPG

Pics of the original:

CV2A80.jpg

CV2A80%202.jpg

As mentioned if I am comparing it to the models I have found then as for accuracy it appears to be significantly different. The hands, case, pushers and strap are from a standard day/date whilst the bezel and dial are from the CF special edition.

I’ve posted pictures and I’ll let the experts on this forum tell me how accurate the rest of the parts are i.e. logo etc. To me though they seem pretty accurate.

Customary wrist shot: (and Yes! I have abnormally skinny wrists!)

CIMG0480.JPG

Overall, as many of you will probably comment, I think I overpaid by about $200. Nevertheless I am very pleased with the look of the watch and the way it wears on my wrist. The black strap, in my opinion, looks smarter than the red strap on the original.

One question I have is whether a service would help fix the sweeping movement on the main seconds hand or will this get better with time? 

Also Happy New Year!!

Hi and welcome to RWG. Actually interesting to finally see a complete review of that iparadisiac probably hosted by James purchase. After reading all You wrote I feel indeed lucky to never have bought from them, You have spent a lot and its not a top replica so I would say You have found the right place here to look for a better watch.

Here is a picture sample of what one of the trusted dealers offers http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41_210&products_id=9962 , starting with the red second hand in my opinion it just looks overall better, the carbon fiber model is also available.

If it is an Asian 7750 movement that You normally get with the chronos it may have issues and best would be not to use the stop watch, nothing should studder and only stop and reset it between 10 and 2 o´clock. A service is only advisable if You really like the watch and need a relume and waterproofing too, I think I would look for and buy another watch here instead with one of the TD. For 50 to 70 USD shipping cost its often good to order a 2nd cheaper watch right away too. Read and research a little there are fantastic Grand Carreras with top quality out there.

For 285 USD shipped I´ve got this TAG Aquaracer Grande Date from Sead/ Supermirrors it´s 1:1 to gen with good lume and Swiss ronda Quartz movement (its got that crazily fast and sweeping 1/10 secondhand, the main second hand ticks or is locked at 12 and an exception in my collection but wanted to have a good, reliable quartz one and a TAG with good lume)

TAG_1002_zpsa971a07c.jpg

TAG_1003_zps3b49631e.jpg

Lumeshot next to Rolex Seadweller

TagAquaracervsRolexSeadweller16600IMG_07

Wow you spent a lot on that watch. May I ask what movement is it? A swiss or asian?

I'm a newbie but I have read a lot form this forum and I think you can get a lot out of it too. Try reading By-Tor guide to Tag Replica. It was eye opening for me what a rep watch could look like.

very nice! like the cf dial

I really like the dial as well :)

Hi and welcome to RWG. Actually interesting to finally see a complete review of that iparadisiac probably hosted by James purchase. After reading all You wrote I feel indeed lucky to never have bought from them, You have spent a lot and its not a top replica so I would say You have found the right place here to look for a better watch.

Here is a picture sample of what one of the trusted dealers offers http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41_210&products_id=9962 , starting with the red second hand in my opinion it just looks overall better, the carbon fiber model is also available.

If it is an Asian 7750 movement that You normally get with the chronos it may have issues and best would be not to use the stop watch, nothing should studder and only stop and reset it between 10 and 2 o´clock. A service is only advisable if You really like the watch and need a relume and waterproofing too, I think I would look for and buy another watch here instead with one of the TD. For 50 to 70 USD shipping cost its often good to order a 2nd cheaper watch right away too. Read and research a little there are fantastic Grand Carreras with top quality out there.

For 285 USD shipped I´ve got this TAG Aquaracer Grande Date from Sead/ Supermirrors it´s 1:1 to gen with good lume and Swiss ronda Quartz movement (its got that crazily fast and sweeping 1/10 secondhand, the main second hand ticks or is locked at 12 and an exception in my collection but wanted to have a good, reliable quartz one and a TAG with good lume)

TAG_1002_zpsa971a07c.jpg

TAG_1003_zps3b49631e.jpg

Lumeshot next to Rolex Seadweller

TagAquaracervsRolexSeadweller16600IMG_07

Thanks for the advice Nightwatch.

I saw the TTW model only after I ordered mine. If/when i get another rep it'll definitely be from that website. 

One good thing about the model I have is that the G on the logo seems accurate. 

I quite like the automatic movement and so would probably still pick another A7750 over a quartz. A bit gutted the chronograph isn't completely smooth. 

Wow you spent a lot on that watch. May I ask what movement is it? A swiss or asian?

I'm a newbie but I have read a lot form this forum and I think you can get a lot out of it too. Try reading By-Tor guide to Tag Replica. It was eye opening for me what a rep watch could look like.

Its an asian 7750 movement. A bit too cheap for a real valjoux/ETA 7750. 

Edited by Tag You're It