When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this A "Tell", FC V3 Buckle

Funny how you can be around something for a while and never notice things. I took my watch off to do a procedure today, and when I was fastening it back on, I noticed for the first time that the front edge of the buckle is highly polished, in contrast to the rest of the buckle that is supposed to be a titanium forged buckle.  I would suspect that the genuine buckle doesn't have this polished edge, as I'm not sure that titanium can be polished to a mirror finish, however I don't know this for sure. From the small scratches that are beginning to appear on my buckle I thinking that the "titanium" buckle is an applied material to mimic the titanium look.

Would appreciate some expert opinions, as this could be a real "tell" if the buckle edge isn't correct.

Here are some photos of mine, devilishly difficult to get a good photo of the edge, but it's pretty apparent that it's not like the dull rough finish of the rest of the buckle.

post-327-0-26133300-1388692028_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-13812900-1388692067_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-83735500-1388692118_thumb.jpg

Excuse me! I did try to find some photos on the internet but was not able to find anything conclusive. I wasn't making statements, I was asking questions, which is how folks increase their knowledge level. Maybe I worded it wrong, but your response is inappropriate. This wasn't a "who has the best sub" sort of question! I'me not that familiar with AP's as this is my first, but I'n damn sure not a noob when it comes to watches! Look at my profile, I've got about 3500 posts more than you and quite a few years. If you don't like my posts, feel free to disregard them.

• Like 1

Well sir, I did try Google. in fact I consider Google to be the first line of reference when looking for and answer. I did see lots of photos of the FC Diver buckle, and read a few articles about the genuine watch, however I was not able to find a single photo or reference related to the polished edge of the buckle. As  I said before, This is my first AP, rep or otherwise. If it were a Rolex especially a vintage Rolex, I would probably already know the answer to most of the questions, or know where to find them, but I am not that familiar with the brand. I do like the watch quite a lot, and am interested in finding out more about them.  I have read a lot of posts on Repgeek and here as well, trying to acquire a rudimentary knowledge base. That is one reason that  I was really disappointed in your answer, I have read several of the threads that you have contributed to as well as started, and you are undoubtedly one of the experts on AP watches. It would seem to me that you would be happy to share your knowledge about AP's with others who are not as well versed. I know that folks over on the Rolex forum are eager to share information, and their knowledge. I know that sometimes it seems like the questions are silly, and it does get somewhat exasperating when newcomers ask the same question over and over, especially ones that are easily answered if they would just try the search button. I posted this thread only because I couldn't find an answer using the usual search methods. And AFA post counts, I believe that they are important, especially if the majority of posts are meaningful and contribute to the community. Speaking of community I have noticed in my short time visiting the AP forum here, quite a lot of the AP forum contributors are not supporting members of the forum, do you have any idea as to why that might be? I haven't spent any time to speak of on any of the other forums outside the Rolex forum and, General Discussion, so it may well be that the same numbers are in other forums as well, just curious?

its not about your post count just your questions .. maybe try using Google search engine to extract the correct information !!

Jeez Mr Z... the guy just asked a question... 

Are you menstruating today? Sorry, but your being a [censored].

let me address .. swdivad  as for being a so called d.i.c.k as you are referring to me as one !!   maybe that's your reference after looking in the mirror !!

this is a forum and regardless of question most can be answered will little or more research !! and going back to what the op question . yes its polish edge like gen and 

ti is not a hard marital and can be easily scratched  and polish just like ss !!   you are thinking of tungsten!! 

• Like 1

It's on all of the genuine modern buckles. They did this after the grand prix, to preserve/smoothen the buckling/unbuckling process as they were eating up straps (scratching)..

This should have been the answer to OP in the first place ;)

It's on all of the genuine modern buckles. They did this after the grand prix, to preserve/smoothen the buckling/unbuckling process as they were eating up straps (scratching)..

if this is true, then all the underside, the inner side and especially the rear edge of the buckle should be polished, but they are not. Or are they?

• Like 1

The edge is polished to give the buckle a 2-tone finish. The top surface is sand blasted. Titanium can be high polished easily, it scratches up easily as well as the surface is soft. I am not sure what you mean by an applied material to mimic titanium. I suppose you are talking about a coating. That could be possible but it's easy to tell as titanium is much lighter than steel.

You can actually also polish the understide/ inner side and rear edge, but it's alot more work.

Funny how you can be around something for a while and never notice things. I took my watch off to do a procedure today, and when I was fastening it back on, I noticed for the first time that the front edge of the buckle is highly polished, in contrast to the rest of the buckle that is supposed to be a titanium forged buckle.  I would suspect that the genuine buckle doesn't have this polished edge, as I'm not sure that titanium can be polished to a mirror finish, however I don't know this for sure. From the small scratches that are beginning to appear on my buckle I thinking that the "titanium" buckle is an applied material to mimic the titanium look.

Would appreciate some expert opinions, as this could be a real "tell" if the buckle edge isn't correct.

Here are some photos of mine, devilishly difficult to get a good photo of the edge, but it's pretty apparent that it's not like the dull rough finish of the rest of the buckle.

attachicon.gifDSCF0198.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0200.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0201.jpg

The edge is polished to give the buckle a 2-tone finish. The top surface is sand blasted. Titanium can be high polished easily, it scratches up easily as well as the surface is soft. I am not sure what you mean by an applied material to mimic titanium. I suppose you are talking about a coating. That could be possible but it's easy to tell as titanium is much lighter than steel. You can actually also polish the understide/ inner side and rear edge, but it's alot more work.
The question about the applied coating stems from experience with the rep Rolex Deep Sea Sea Diver (DSSD). The genuine DSSD has a titanium inner case back, the reps have some sort of coating, which looks like titanium, but is probably paint that is sprayed on. That was what brought up the question. I would guess that with something as light as a buckle, it might be difficult to tell by weight, unless you knew the weight of a genuine buckle, and could weigh the rep to see if it was close. With a watch, it's much easier, I have an Ocean 7 LM7 in stainless and one titanium, almost identical watches except for the case and case backs, the titanium one feels about half as heavy as the stainless. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

let me address .. swdivad  as for being a so called d.i.c.k as you are referring to me as one !!   maybe that's your reference after looking in the mirror !!

Yes, sorry, it was me being a kunt LOL

Mr Z, on 04 Jan 2014 - 6:40 PM, said:

yes its polish edge like gen and ti is not a hard marital and can be easily scratched  and polish just like ss !!   you are thinking of tungsten!!

Now... wasn't that much easier?

And now you seem so much nicer and helpful even!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Astro, no the insides of the buckle aren't polished, just the bottom portion pictured as that is what slides along the strap buckling and unbuckling. The strap does not really come in contact with the buckle on the sides

I have a ton of genuine AP's , so have a lot of time with them and in diff forms

My friend Z can be rather capricious at times, but he does have a wealth of knowledge on AP which can be useful for the community.

We should all get to know one another better, so that unnecessary tensions like this could be avoided.

I have interacted with both Panerai153 and Mr Z on separate occasions, and both are knowledgeable gentlemen in their own rights, with different temperaments. 

Nobody is being a dick or cunt here, though Z does have a rough side to his tongue (or fingers applying to typing) which I have experienced firsthand :D

I am used to it by now and I sometimes kick his ass around just to pay him back for being rude to me when we first started talking. :lol:  :partytime:  

Nothing better than some friction to get to know one another on an accelerated basis.