When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PayPal issues, who else is having them

FxrAndy

I tried to send some one a payment for some used motorcycle parts a while ago and PayPal stopped the payment, they wanted a copy of my passport and the date of birth of the seller? After a call to PayPal and me telling them I would not give them a copy of my passport and the seller would not give me their DOB, the payment was returned and the limitation on my account lifted. On Friday I bought a cover for a blackberry from within my own country, this morning I get an email from PayPal saying my account is limited again for going against trading laws either buying or selling and again they want a copy of my passport! Has any one else had this or similar issues recently, or requests for photo ID?

It is all coming from PayPal not a third party, the odd thing is that they go on about American rules and regulations, but PayPal in Europe is registered in Luxembourg and the payment that started all this off was EU - EU and the current payment is with in the EU

Well photo ID is what they want and the only one I have is my passport and they are not having that

My wife has had similar with our paypal account.  She had to supply a photocopy of her passport, and a copy of an electricity bill to prove address.  This was to increase incomings limit which had been reached.

hi im not new to the forum but don't say much.i had a similar problem with them not so long back its that I had reached the limit they set for buying and selling think iit was something like 1200 pounds or maybe more I had to contact them to get it lifted as I have no passport either I had to submit docs to verify who I was and that I was the registard owner of the bank account that was set up for my paypal account all in all it took 5mins to do and I even questioned them about the safety of sending docs via the net.Then I went into my paypal account and upgraded it.now I carnt remember exactly what I did but ive had no trouble from them again and the upgrade didn't cost anything either.but if you look on the bay for FAQ about your problem you should get an answer from that took me a while to search but its in there somewhere.hope you get it sorted as its a pain and another thing if you have funds in there they wont let you take it out until its verified .

I've never heard of that happening, but they do verify accounts here by sending you a token amount as a deposit, and then you have to go into your account and relay back to them the exact amount of the deposit. Never ever heard of them asking for any sort of ID or address verification here in the USA. Maybe it's easier for them to verify addresses here than in other countries. I wouldn't give them my passport info. Also, I don't run much money through my account, as I seldom sell things. A few years back I sold a couple of genuine watches for 3-4k each, didn't have a problem at all. Problem with PayPal, as we found out here on the forum, they are the 800 pound Gorilla, and they can pretty much do what they want.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Now this I did just to verify account when I started. "but they do verify accounts here by sending you a token amount as a deposit, and then you have to go into your account and relay back to them the exact amount of the deposit."

Like you I ain't giving them my passport even if I had one!

Well I have just had another email going on about Office of Foreign Assets Control, kurz OFAC, but I am not a us citizen, hardly any of my transactions involve the US and what right do they have to ask for photo ID

When I set up my initial PP account, the spending limit for me was $3600, It didn't matter that it was backed by a platinum card. When I reached this threshold I could no longer pay via PP until it was linked to a bank account. No photo ID was required, I just opened an account at my bank just for PP and put a couple of bucks in it. So far no more PP problems. (hopefully this keeps up!)

When I set up my initial PP account, the spending limit for me was $3600, It didn't matter that it was backed by a platinum card. When I reached this threshold I could no longer pay via PP until it was linked to a bank account. No photo ID was required, I just opened an account at my bank just for PP and put a couple of bucks in it. So far no more PP problems. (hopefully this keeps up!)

They really press you hard to pay with a bank account, saves the fee problem, but most importantly, if their is a dispute, you can get your credit card company to do a chargeback and you get your money back, can't do that with a bank account. Also, I wonder if deep within all that legalese you have to agree to when you open and account, if there isn't some provision that  if you are lose a PayPal dispute and they try to get their money back, they can go into your bank account and debit it for the funds, without your permission or even your knowledge, should their not be sufficient funds in your PayPal account. Bears looking into.

Bitcoin? Bleurgh - sounds like a great way to throw money away. The fact a Bitcoins value went from under a dollar to $874 in a year shows how unstable it is.

I've not had this request from PayPal but I have heard of it happening.

Can't you report them to the police for attempted identity theft? :)

I'd give them a ring and ask why they're quoting American laws to an EU citizen making transactions within the EU?