When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A little Doxa action

Nanuq

Wow, Clive Cussler has one, Dirk Pitt too – it´s the first Doxa Sub 300 Pro I´ve ever seen on the forum.

Always loved that orange dial and the simple and bulletproof logics of that uni-directional bezel with the

no decompression time limits on the inner ring.

Congrats on that one Nanuq, simply great – and thanks for the pic.

It simply looks great.

Thanks! That means a lot coming from a pro diver. Notice the USD logo in the 3rd quadrant? That makes it a "Black Lung", one of perhaps 10 ever made.

And it's a little known fact that 3 more besides mine live right here on RWG.

Thanks! That means a lot coming from a pro diver. Notice the USD logo in the 3rd quadrant? That makes it a "Black Lung", one of perhaps 10 ever made.

And it's a little known fact that 3 more besides mine live right here on RWG.

I should have brought that one on ebay that time when it became available last year (when nanuq told me to) . I hope to grab one in the future if the price is reasonable

The aqualung is covered by the second hand square. So thats one of those extremely rare with the hand engraved lugs and it´s a no-t Sub 300. That´s an about 1968 vintage. Fantastic, collectible watch, really something special "The Best Sub" :) . You have it´s story?

This has been fun renovating my interest for the Doxa, so I will follow the progress of mission 31.

Thanks mate! I told the story here a few years ago, here it is:

The coolest of the 300s was called the Black Lung. There were only a handful made, so they're rare as an honest politician. I did a LOT of looking and got banned from the Doxa site in the process (a long story) but eventually found one. I mentioned it to my diver friend and it turns out when he helped start SeaLab he was also doing some R&D for Doxa and they gave him one as a thank-you. He tried to find it so he could give it to me (more generosity) and discovered it had been lost somewhere in all his moves.

Now this is cool: he lived in Chicago for awhile. And a Black Lung was just sold on Ebay, it was discovered in a box of old watches in Chicago by the son of some junk collector that rooted around and found all these old watches. So I wrote the guy that won it, and told him the story; who knows if it's the same piece? But what a story.

Here's a better picture of the Aqualung logo:

post-32-138951232908.jpg

• Like 1

That's quite a story and makes it the more interesting and a perfect pic with the orange dot still shining. That's a piece that made history on Your wrist. Very exotic indeed. Looking at this classic design makes You think why there aren´t modern thoughts about how to give a watch additional simple and effective mechanical functions besides showing the time (Rolex to simple inspite using it a lot to time things and Breitling with excess of functions and too small lettering). This was a pleasure to revisit:)

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice.. I have a Doxa as well but without the same story behind it, sadly... but it is a newer version with a similar case and bracelet :)

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...