When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Held by Customs or How to ship a package overseas to USA !

panerai153

Sooner or later, it's going to happen to everyone if you buy things from overseas. In the past few years, I have had a couple of boxes of Cigars shipped from Australia , get stopped by US customs. The folks I purchase from reshipped to my business address, and were received safely. Incredibly after months and months, over a  few week period, the boxes arrived!! I was told that US Customs in NY was releasing a lot of stuff that they had been holding. Of course with cigars, after 6-12 months in a non temperature and humidity controlled environment, they were pretty awful!! Probably their perverse way of saying" We know these are Cuban, and  we could have destroyed them, but you can have them  now after 8 months in a hot dry warehouse, enjoy your smokes!!

This story however is about watches, not cigars. A couple of weeks ago, I bought an AP Diver V5 from a member on RG. Shipping from Singapore. Nice smooth transaction, lots of good prompt communication, He gave me two choices for shipping, Registered mail or courier service (OCS), which I had never heard of. He assured me that they were legit, sent me  a link to their website, which I visited, and they are indeed a world wide shipping company. I chose the OCS route. He shipped the watch on 1/6/2014. Shipping 3-5 business days. I tracked the package, but the main site showed "Dispatched to the USA' up until yesterday. Then it showed up as undeliverable, which was strange as there was someone at home all day Thursday when it was showing as undeliverable. I emailed the seller as well as the OCS office in Los Angeles and their tacking email. last night I got my answer. the package was held up in Customs in LA due to "watch is undervalued" Shipper sent it as "Watch for repair" value 50.00 USD. He has resubmitted the invoice to OCS with a value of 150.00 USD, which may or may not satisfy customs. Since OCS hands off to FedEx, I believe that the FedEx customs clearing is where it's residing right now. So I may or may not get my watch, we will see. This is a lengthy lead in to the main topic which is How to ship a package overseas to the USA.

First off when shipping to any country where the package has to clear customs, never ever use the word WATCH on the customs form, always use something like timepiece or Horological instrument, never watch. When customs sees a package from China with the word watch, the first thought is "Counterfeit", Second, if the watch is listed as" repair watch", do not use that terminology, List it as Broken Horological instrument, or timepiece, for repair and return to sender. If you send it with that terminology, first you can declare it for more, and it won't raise any eyebrows. Lastly, don't try to sneak it in in a toy!! US Customs X-rays every package. They go through a scanner just like your carry on baggage when you fly. Believe me the X-ray can "See" through the stuffed animal, and inside resides a watch!! Ah Ha, someone sneaking a watch past customs, sure way to get it seized. if you follow the rules of common sense, it will decrease the chances of something getting stopped. I assure you what I'm saying here is not 100% foolproof, it may still get stopped and seized, but every little trick like this will increase your chances of having it get through safely.

Disclaimer: I am directing this only to those packages  that are shipped to the USA. I have no idea as to how stringent the Customs Services of other countries scrutinize packages. I have heard that some EU countries are particularly difficult to get rep watches in to the country, however that is only what I have read on the forums. 

• Like 3

I have first hand knowledge of this and i can tell you that customs has set out to seize all watches coming in no matter what you list.. listing it as a Broken Horological instrument, or timepiece, for repair and return to sender does not work as they still have my Franken AP that I'm fighting for and its been 6 months and an attorney and still nothing in hand. I dont buy anything over seas anymore becasue of this.

Gents God Speed.

B

• Like 1

That's pretty discouraging news, I have used this technique in the past with 100% success. I took a chance, and it looks like I might be in the same boat as you. 

How was yours shipped? I believe mine got hung up in FedEx clearing, as they have never said anything about  it being counterfeit, they were suspicious because the valuation was so low. I have had about 10 emails back and forth this afternoon with the shipping agent (OCS). they seem to think that with all the paperwork in order, it will be released. The customs folks want ID from me, they are asking for my Social security card, which I haven't had for 30Years!!  They wouldn't accept the face page of my Passport, because it doesn't have my SS# on it. OCS hands off to FedEx for delivery in the USA, so I'll see what happens. Just this sort of thing is why I haven't bought a watch from a dealer in a long time, and I much prefer dealing within the CONUS.

I usually just take the watch head off of the bracelet, wrap the bracelet and watch head so good that it's a huge pain in the ass to unwrap, and then mark the customs sheet as watch parts. I have never had a problem so far.

I would stay clear and fedex and ups those seems to be the biggesred flags. I had the same high dollar franken coming with low dollar value that got stopped and because of some markings on the AP it got seized. I should find out this week what my fate is with this nightmare.

I would stay clear and fedex and ups those seems to be the biggesred flags. I had the same high dollar franken coming with low dollar value that got stopped and because of some markings on the AP it got seized. I should find out this week what my fate is with this nightmare.

I believe that you are correct about using the courier services. they are fine for genuine watches, because you can declare them for their full value and you may or may not have to pay some customs duty, here in the USA. In the case of a genuine watch, it doesn't matter if they open the package, but with reps it's a completely different story. FedEx and UPS have their own customs clearing here in the USA, and I believe they scrutinize packages a lot more closely than regular customs that handles mailed items. The red flag with my watch was the declaration was for too little, 50.00 USD, I suppose they got suspicious because very few people would ship a cheap watch using a courier service, so they opened the package.

As we have no VAT not necessary to lower value on incoming ,no?

That's true, but you may have to pay some duty. It's hit or miss. I bought several new Doxas and a couple were duty free, but two others had duty bills of about 50.00 USD. FedEx collects the duty after the fact, they sent me bills for the duty.

That's true, but you may have to pay some duty. It's hit or miss. I bought several new Doxas and a couple were duty free, but two others had duty bills of about 50.00 USD. FedEx collects the duty after the fact, they sent me bills for the duty.

Better to pay the duty then to receive no watches. I think that's where a lot of folks get caught up as you pointed out, trying to declare too low a value.

The fact that cheap, gen watches can get through without any problem always made me think, why not get some cheap "snap closed" watch boxes, cheap cushions, outer cardboard box, labelled "Citizen" or "Smiths" or similar, put the rep inside that lot, and send it via the exact same courier services that these companies use?

I think things like not having hand written address labels and custom declarations will help enormously - if you think about it when was the last time you got a gen watch through the post that was just a watch, in bubble wrap, with hand written labels?

Never.

Fraggle, that's a valid point. I believe we often do things that make them look like a rep!! no box, just bubble wrap and a large Envelope, hand written labels, declarations for 25.00 USD -50.00 USD. Those all scream counterfeit. What we have to realize is the people who work for customs are looking at hundreds if not thousands of packages a day. After some experience, I believe they get pretty good at spotting suspicious packages. If you open 2 Yellow tape wrapped packages and find watches inside that are obviously not genuine Rolex Submariners (Who in the world would ever ship any genuine Rolex that way), it doesn't take long for you to see the pattern, and from then on that agent is going to open every yellow, tape wrapped package from China that comes down the conveyor belt. The only thing that will get past is if he's too busy to stop something or he's already opening one and 10 more slip by. I Also believe that a lot depends on the POE where your package arrives. I know that a few years back, LAX was not a good bet for rep watches. I suppose they got lots and lots of packages from China and they probably figured out the tendencies and that helped them in stopping packages. What I can't understand is why in the world the dealers as well as other shippers can't put the watch inside a "Watch box' as you said, bubble wrap it and then fill a larger cardboard box with packing peanuts, put a nice printed label on it. Declare it as "timepiece" value 200.00 USD and send it on. I would bet that their would be a lot less problems.

I got 13 emails from the shipping company yesterday, back and forth as to what they needed from me, etc. What they told me was the customs folks were not claiming it was a rep, their only problem was it was under declared. the shipper valued it at 50.00 USD. When it went through FED Ex customs clearing, I'm sure they are used to seeing watches declared for much more, and they got suspicious. Too cheap to be shipping by courier !!  I firmly believe that had the shipper declared it for 200-300 USD, it would have sailed through with no problems. Had he shipped it registered mail, it might have gotten through with a 50.00 USD declaration, as the customs agents that handle regular mail are used to seeing low value items come across, so no alarms.

Just got great news!!! Email from the shipping company, customs released the hold on the package,. coming FedEx overnight will get it tomorrow. So in this case hopefully a good outcome, unless  I get a customs duty bill from FedEx for customs on a 20K watch!!! Probably not as  I believe the shipping agent would have told me and given me the option of refusing delivery. I'll post updates.

• Like 2

shipping watches is such a hit or miss game. For Europe triangle shipping is bomb proof thanks to Schengen Dublin. Shipping gens trying to avoid duties is a whole other story. I guess best to send a gen is as panerai153 described it and put "return & repair of a precision instrument" on the package ;)

Hope it turns out fine for you without paying duties of higher value than your actual watch ;)

• Like 1

Zero customs duty, had to pay a 25.00 USD processing charge to OCS. I believe that is for the overnight FedEx delivery to my home. I suppose OCS delivers in the big cities where they have offices, but they have to hand off to another service for final delivery.

• Like 1

The fact that cheap, gen watches can get through without any problem always made me think, why not get some cheap "snap closed" watch boxes, cheap cushions, outer cardboard box, labelled "Citizen" or "Smiths" or similar, put the rep inside that lot, and send it via the exact same courier services that these companies use?

I think things like not having hand written address labels and custom declarations will help enormously - if you think about it when was the last time you got a gen watch through the post that was just a watch, in bubble wrap, with hand written labels?

Never.

Interesting idea, i've always used 'timepiece for repair', but I might from now on add a cheap watchbox from eBay or something to make it look a bit more legit.

Perhaps something like this, can't go wrong for $1:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Present-Gift-Boxes-Case-For-Bangle-Jewelry-Ring-Earrings-Wrist-Watch-Box-TR-/310720925785?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&var=&hash=item4858691059

In M2M sales, I always ask if the buyer has any special preference to what they want on the customs deceleration

No use Zero_D's box put a sticker on it  " *&*%^ Watch Repair " then put in your invoice from same with the repair/work done, itemized cost, total  come on get creative  ;)  ............................ gonna be hard for customes to agrue with that.

Well that just gave me a great idea :D

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/166506-fake-watch-invoice/

Thanks Mike!

Brilliant news that the OPs watch cleared customs at last! :)

I was thinking that you could say that the watch was shipped back to the manufacturer for repair, you got the quote, decided it was too high, and so decided to not go ahead with the repair and instead have it shipped back to you for spares, hence the low value declared, as it's just for the bracelet / strap, case, dial, hands, crown, crystal, etc.

I do think getting a dozen of those cheap boxes is a great idea, and although I'm a supporter of recycling, a beaten up, reused box with half a dozen bits of old labels all over it also screams "send from a private individual, and not from the watch company the label states" so getting a couple dozen new cardboard boxes too. Add printed shipping labels, and I would think that that lot would decrease the chances of anyone being suspicious of the package to next to nothing.

There's plenty of gen watches that sell for $150 or less that come in a half decent box, sent from the seller shop in a new box with next day delivery.

I'll find some of those boxes on EBay UK, and for flat pack cardboard boxes. If they're cheap from China anyone else in the UK want to order in bulk (100 say) and split it? 12 each is what I'm aiming for.

Great news! I hate these customs horror stories. But I'm glad you got your watch... Now are you ready to off load it yet? Lol

Nah, I'll have to keep it around for a while. this one has a story. This is the first one I have ever gotten with US Customs and Border patrol Green tape around the bubble wrap!! ;)