When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of Tag Heuer Aquaracer Chronograph Quartz Grande Date Date

Nightwatch

The TAG Heuer Aquaracer Chronograph Quartz Grande Date Date CAF101F.BA0821

Designed and developed by professional divers, this Aquaracer represents TAG Heuer's historical dedication to scuba diving and extreme sports.

Rep-Picture:

TagwaterL1050598.jpg

Gen - pics

tag-heuer-aquaracer-chronograph-mens-wat      tag-heuer-aquaracer-grande-date-mens-wat

The Original:

Stainless steel case and bracelet. Unidirectional stainless steel bezel. White dial with luminous hands and index hour markers. Minute markers around the outer rim. Luminescent hands and markers. Date displays at the 12 o'clock position. Three subdials - 60 seconds, 30 minutes and 1/10th of a second with sweeping hand. Swiss Ronda Quartz movement/ ETA 251.262. Scratch resistant, AR sapphire crystal. Screw down crown. Case diameter: 43 mm. Case thickness: 13 mm. Deployment clasp. Water resistant to 300 meters/ 1000 feet. Functions: hours, minutes, seconds, date, chronograph.

The Replica TAG Heuer Aquaracer Grande Date:

TAGMacroL1050509.jpg

The fit, finish, function and quality of this Tag Aquaracer Chrono are exceptionally good and it is one of the most accurate 1:1 replications I have seen by comparison to web-pictures of the gen. It features a claimed Swiss Ronda Quartz movement as the gen and the same sweeping 1/10 second hand. It´s one of the rare cases the only two reasons to buy the real thing would be the water resistance to 300 meters and the Box set. Until a side-by-side comparison with a Gen is available here are my impressions.

The reviewed sample was provided by Sead/Supermirrors, 30 days from order to arrival before X-mas, well packaged with protective covers on the dial and backside at a cost of 239 USD plus shipping. For the quality-feel, the lume and the gen-likeliness of what You get this price is perfectly justified as the top-movement alone already costs 130 USD (at Esslinger.com) Available in black or white.

TAG_1005_zps14ac8e40.jpg

Tag Logo: It shows the 2 arrows on the G

L1050587.jpg

Accuracy: +/- 2 seconds per month, not measurable 0,064 secs per day  

Quality/feel:     Impressive, apart from the AP V5 Diver it’s the best overall quality I found in a rep. meaning Chronopushers, stem, time-setting, screw-down crown working smooth and precise as a gen. Not only looks but also feels like a gen which is great;   

L1050597.jpg

Bezel:      Outer, unidirectional rotating 60 minute S/S brushed bezel with 2 clicks per minute to count elapsed or remaining time up to 1 hour. Sits tight and well, rotates easily, precisely and fast with somewhat loud clicks (easy to count by audition). The engraving is good and filled with black. The luminous pearl at 12´ together with the marker at 12´ provide a nice nighttime effect for locating the 12´ position;  The inner bezel with the detailed minute count is highly polished S/S and fixed.

L1050642.jpg

Lume:       Best overall and visible lume, the same on the hands and stickers of a quartz-replica; specially being a Chrono; the same as on gen – pictures. This is a serious reason to prefer this model when choosing a quartz movement. 

on Nato-Strap

TAGAquaracerL1050256.jpg

Lumeshot compared to AP 15400 BP Maker

TagAquaracervsAP15400IMG_0727.jpg

Lumeshot compared to Rolex Seadweller

TagAquaracervsRolexSeadweller16600IMG_07

Chrono:     The main second hand is locked at the 12´ position unless You use the chrono. This is a perfect feature because You don´t have a big ticking hand to look at, this was one of the reasons to buy it quartz in the first place. The running seconds tick visibly at 3´ position if You look directly at the subdial. If the eyes are looking either to the big date at 12´or the 6´ encircled subdial You can´t tell. The minute counter scaled to 30 is at the 9´position.

Best chrono feature: Sweeping (!) 1/10 seconds are displayed at the 6´position. This hand sweeps flawlessly (no ticking) and very fast measuring 1/10 seconds for the first minute. (Check out a video on youtube) After the first minute it stops sweeping and starts measuring the hours elapsed.

L1050589.jpg

L1050496.jpg

Date: Big date display in 2 windows – one for each datewheel - at 12´, nice feature, perfect visibility

Caseback: Same as gen (!) Nice, crisp and deep engravings with very high quality of the divers helmet, perfect lettering and engraving. It is quite beautiful also in my opinion.

TAGHPFLIMG_1417.jpg

L1050610.jpg

Bracelet: Double locking fold over clasp and easy to use (just push open) divers extension. It has 3 working positions for micro-adjustment on the clasp which is a big plus. Off the wrist it rattles. On the wrist its silent, feels very comfortable and holds the watch well. Actually it feels solid and perfect because of the micro-adjustement possibility and fits the watch case well. Its easy to remove and fix the bracelet on the case.  It took time and was quite difficult to remove the link pins – it´s the Heuer system with a tight-sitting pin fixed by a small tube in the middle which Omega also used and nasty to play with. If You bang on the pin-removal tool with pliers or a small hammer they come out after a while and in the end it was easy and without any scratching of the links, but before this broke my (cheap) screw pin removal apparatus (as it happens often with Tag gens by the way as seen on Youtube) and had it on a Nato-strap for some days so its better to have one of those around when You get the watch.

TAGHPFLIMG_1415.jpg

TAGHPFLIMG_1417.jpg

Divers extension

L1050596.jpg

inner clasp detail

L1050605.jpg

outer clasp

L1050593.jpg

TAGHPFL_1419.jpg

Weight:  175 grams including bracelet (some links removed)
Case: measured 10´ to 4: 43 mm
Dial:   measured 10´to 4´: 31 mm
Thickness: 12,06 mm exactly

Size measurements for the Gen differ from site to site with 43 and 44 mm as well as 12,3, 13 and 14 for the thickness

Size comparison to the PAM 212 Flyback Chrono and the Rolex Sub- Ceramic

L1050286.jpg

Final thoughts: It is a high-quality Watch bordering the super-rep status for its likeliness to the original. The big date is very well readable, the luminiscence is good and the 1/10th  second sweeping hand is a joy to look at. It wears solid and comfortable and has a good weight. The overall quality is superior to many lower priced generally known genuine brands.

The quartz movement itself is very shock-resistant by its nature so this should last for a very long time. As this is a replica forum in my opinion this is one of the most believable replicas available because of the pricetag of the gen too. The possibility of this TAG even being a rep never even crossed my mind. I “believe” it’s a gen, that´s how good it is.

If You are looking for a reliable quartz watch in black or white this surely is one of the best options. 

TAG_1002.jpg

Thanks to all reading this first attempt at a review until the end. If You liked this or found this review useful please post a comment or leave a thumbs up.

• Like 3

Nice work Nightwatch! Read your work yesterday........we'll written ,great pic's. Was excited to see write up on this model.Ever sense I saw a gen at Costco I have been on the fence. Thought I would wait to see what other members had to say, nothing?really. Explain no love for this watch, here is what I see..... Quartz movement (making it perfect for a daily beater) also raised markers on bezel similar to the ones on my Breitling's that helps keep the crystal from being the first thing that hits workbench,desktop, and those dang cement picnic tables.Wish I could wear my Pam's or my 5004 big pilot, but there is no protection to the Saphire. Size....... 43mm(acceptable)You guy's with small wrist's are so lucky .Bracelet... Brushed so easy to maintain with fiber bristle pen, and various 3M pad's. Sweeping second hand,bullet proof movement, and good looking.please explain no love for the watch or the nice review provided by Nightwatch?

Edited by dfer777

Very very good review Nightwatch and a fine watch, now as to the disinterest noted by dfer77 it's a quartz this is automatic watch central. (manual wind OK also!)

Painstakingly, fixing, modding and improving movements is what the game is about along with other mods. What the heck you gonna do to that quartz put in a battery!

This being said I am guilty of being a watch snob myself in regard to wanting auto movements but strangely enough I wear my quartz watches more often as they are ready to go no headache pieces, go figure.

Thank You dfer and Mike and all for the comments so far. Actually the one I do indeed like is the blue day-date reviewed by bi-thor but by the time I ordered this just didn´t want to get through the lengthy qc -process of misaligned datewheel or... or.... and end up with another Asian 7750 to be careful with or where the best is never to touch the chrono itself.

This one I checked out at an AD and after having the rep it I can´t see any difference, the gen reflects a bit too if You look at pics, although readability excellent.

As I wrote it´s so good qualitywise I would not get the gen even not for 700 or 800 usd because there is simply no need for that, movement´s the same and its one of the things it makes it so attractive as rep, You simply think it´s a gen (or don´t think it´s a rep). It´s a pity it´s not auto because setting time and date "feels" so good and gen-like and the screws work as smooth as an Omega-gen. (no need to ever set the time except once). 

The chronopushers have exactly the amount of resistance required and tack - they work, feels fine. Qualitywise its in a league with the AP Diver, the Steelfish and the TC-sub which are all getting more wristtime (and those I would consider buying as used gens) and the 1/10 second rotating is an attractive show-off gadget. Nobody would ever think of this being a rep also not holding and touching it. It´s a reliable grab-and go watch for all situations, neither overrated nor understated and its got the rotating bezel for countdown-timing. Starting to consider this seriously as a travel-watch too because this crosses borders and goes with dress or a t-shirt as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Danza, glad You enjoy the quality too. Waiting for Your picks of the black one, think it´s even nicer:)

Hi Stj,  As a backup diving-timer I would only rely on a gen -  quartz with unidirectional bezel.  

Swimming in the pool/sea should be fine, it´s got gaskets on the stoppers and a screw-in-crown. For me no jumping/diving (extreme pressure) and no careless shower with a stop-watch. The grease used to keep it waterproof will wash out from shower-gels. Hot-cold changes wear on the gaskets and contract/ expand the case. Careful shower just with warm water and avoiding foam on the watch will be fine.

Sure its fun to take reps deep down to "test how far they will go" and take pics. Until now mine didn´t make it deeper than the photoshop aquarium (see pic:)) but next summer we´ll see:)

Tag Aquaracer with sixteen foot tiger shark and lemon sharks, Bahamas

TagsharkL1050603.jpg

• 1 month later...

Guys, both of you posted pics of sensational looking watches. 

I have had my eye on the 500M Aquaracer for some time, and I could pick up a gen for 1500 USD, but that is still some serious coin for me, and besides, for that kind of bread, i could get several HQ reps. 

I have no problem with quartz, it is very durable and reliable.  On top of all that, for a guy like me, won't look that suspicious, because the price point is not out of reach, unlike say a 20K IWC for example. . .

I really like the black dial chrono, and will check that one out as well!

• 3 weeks later...

With the passing of time this continues to be a great choice. Looks good in all situations without being flashy, the chrono is useful and practical, have also used the rotating bezel for timing quite a lot and whenever I just need to grab and go without setting the time or when I just think a Rolex or AP isn´t adequate and the Breitling is too big it´s the one I pick. This TAG continues to be a very good choice imho.

IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg

• 10 months later...

Only thing that holds me back from buying is the lume dot in the bezel. Is sticks out a little whereas the gen is flat.

Anyone knows how easy it is to mod it?

Greetings

Use a flat, sharp knife or razor blade..? :) 

Great review, can't belive I missed this.