When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT II 1675 restoration questions

irolexu

Hi, a buddy of mine received a free GMT master and it needs a lot of parts and big time service. I'm trying to help him decide if he wants to restore it and resell it (movement is missing the rotor, date won't change, missing bezel assembly, no bracelet, dial is heavily patina'd, hands could be replaced, case needs work) if anyone has any idea where I could source a factory bezel assembly or good aftermarket let me know other wise I'll post this item on the sales section for him as a parts

post-38265-0-72844600-1389808091_thumb.j

post-38265-0-28838500-1389808105_thumb.j

post-38265-0-32666200-1389808125_thumb.j

post-38265-0-28757100-1389808140_thumb.j

post-38265-0-41718800-1389808167_thumb.j

Blimey, I would try everything in my power to go gen all the way, don't dare touch them hands and dial...PLEASE!

It's a plexi crystal so can be polished fairly easy.

I think your first port of call is getting that movement looked at by a good watchsmith. If the movements knackered then it's either sell it for parts, source a gen movement or go rep movement.

Yes the small hand will add value.

Do it proper, it deserves it ;)

Ok here's the problem guys. Opened it up and it's totally missing half of the movement! So we are gonna have to replace the movement. I've told my guy I can go ETA build or sell it for parts. Who is the guy who is the 1675 expert? Is it rolexman? Forgot his handle. Anyone feel free to PM me suggestions or heck even offers as this will most likely end up in the sales area

Blimey, I would try everything in my power to go gen all the way, don't dare touch them hands and dial...PLEASE!

It's a plexi crystal so can be polished fairly easy.

I think your first port of call is getting that movement looked at by a good watchsmith. If the movements knackered then it's either sell it for parts, source a gen movement or go rep movement.

Yes the small hand will add value.

Do it proper, it deserves it ;)

+100

OK, You've got a 1675 case & dial that needs some help! Once you've sorted  out what you'd sell these for please Email me, I'm a buyer at fair money. The problem is there will be a myriad of thoughts as to their value. They're valuable yet not a kings ransom as some may opine.....Best, mcotter

Why does the dial need help? It looks like it's had all the help it needs naturaly to obtain a look worthy of a 50 year old watch!

Don't know if that Yuki clone movement would fit in this and would accept the gen datewheel off your movement, I would look into something like that.

If the movement is beyond repair, break it down into parts, get them cleaned up and eBay them you will get some funding for putting this back together.

Get a clarks or WSO bezel assemble for now, source a gen aged insert. and look at getting a gen bezel assembly in the future.

If done with a bit of thought this would be a cracker for sure!

You got one of the best Rolex guy around, right down the road from your house. I bet he can find the parts to put this watch back together. Honestly, that's a very early 1675, it would make a great restoration project, and if you have time, you can accumulate the parts over time and take this one step at a time. The clone 3135 won't work. you need  the GMT version of the 1575 which is what they were using back then.