When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first own Franken build, finally finished

netniet

I am almost finished building my first Franken Sub. It took me a while to source the parts, but when I finally had them, I started building.

The first challenge was to fit the crystal and retainer ring on the case. I had bought a crystal press with nylon cups, but this turned out not a good choice. When I tried to press the retaining down, I could not press it down flat, and one side was not pressed on the case, there was still a few millimeters of space. I finally could fix this, but this left some small marks on the case, near the retaining ring, and on the bottom of the midcase. But when the bezel, and caseback are, installed they will hopefully not be visible anymore.

Next step was fitting the gen dial and gen hands on the Yuki, which went really smooth. And after this I wanted to fit the movement in the case. Here came another mistake, I removed the stem and plastic crown to cut the stem to the correct length without setting the it first to the 'Set time' position. When i placed the movement in the case, and put the stem back in, I could not pull it out to set the date or time, and I could turn it left or right without any resistance, its running freely.

The stem went out of sliding yoke, I didn' t knew that every time you pulling out or pushing in the stem you have to do that on time changing position and press the releasing pin. With some really good guidance by Misiekped I was able to resolve this issue. This turned out to be very intersting, I had never worked on a movement before, and this was a great learning experience.

Finally I placed the movement in the case, and secured it. I closed the case by adding the caseback, and now I am waiting for my new insert to arrive, so I really can finish this build, and wear it with pride.

The parts used:

Sean midcase (brand new, never used)
TC caseback
Gen bezel assembly (complete)
Gen bnib crystal
Gen crown and tube
Gen dial and hands (perfect condition)
Yuki 3135 (serviced by Misiekped)

Here are some photo's:

post-51669-0-70050600-1390143424_thumb.j

post-51669-0-36417600-1390143435_thumb.j

post-51669-0-03332100-1390143449_thumb.j

post-51669-0-27125900-1390143464_thumb.j

What's the point to make a fake movement if there is no engraving..?

just like what's the point if tc sub don't have rolex logo

It takes gen dial, hands, date disc, and other parts without modification. I do agree with you though, I think it would be a lot more appealing if it had all the correct markings.

No one but you will see the movement. So whats the big deal about the engraving? It's not like you would ever take it to an RSC ever.

+10

I don't care either if it is engraved or not. I choose it because it can take gen parts without modification, and when it is well serviced its a great movement.

I would suggest to read this: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/150977-yukiwatch-3135-mini-review/

• 2 weeks later...