When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Opinion: DSSD/ SD vs Sub 116610/16610 rationales

rjk

You guys that choose DSSD/SD over subs or subc is it mainly due to the cyclops issues or what is it that makes those models more appealing? I notice more of the former being sold or traded but noob v2 for example tends to rarely come up. 

Just curious what your thinking was when deciding to buy one over the other.

It´s a nice, big, chunky watch without Cyclops that isn´t instantly recognizable as a Rolex. When I got mine it was the only black Rolex I could get. SS bracelets often are either to loose or they get to tight when You are flexing hands, working etc. this is partially solved with the adjustable ceramic sub rolesor bracelet and perfectly addressed with the micro-adjustable clasp mechanism of the DSSD. Think it´s one of the reasons it wears so comfortable. The subc I didn´t like it instantly, had to get used to its looks. The 16600 series Submariner and even more the Seadweller are "the" Rolex, those and the Datejust.

this is what I mean:

dssdbackL1050774.jpg

• 1 month later...

DSSD all the way for me, although I still plan on picking up a high quality sub, probably from TC. 

The first time my local contact showed me the DSSD, it was wrapped up in new blue bubble wrap, and looked absolutely amazing!  I knew it was a Rolex, but what kind is that??

The heft and wrist appearance blew me away.  To me, (and this is just my two cents of course), DSSD just looks like a bigger, more aggressive version of the sub.  Definitely not for everyone, and there are those who hate the DSSD, but I love mine. 

Personal taste is what it's all about.

Take my Baron the limited run of 10 PB DSSD's that he created with removed CG's and blue second hand and pearl, I've added a cyclops as the date is so tiny and I personally associate the whole cyclops deal with Rolex, personal taste as I say :)

AJ

post-48021-0-44837500-1393697480_thumb.j

post-48021-0-11227500-1393697504_thumb.j