When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to disable manual winding on ETA 2824-2 ?

blue.

Hello,

I have a genuine ETA 2824-2 that I both a couple of months ago.

Would like to disable the manual/hand wind function because that ETA is going to be placed in a case that has a screw down crown.

I had tested it before in the case but as I try to screw the crown the manual wind starts winding the mainspring that is already automatically winded and the crown gets pretty "stiff", not letting me screw it fully.

After 1 day or so not wearing the watch, after the mainspring has lost a bit of energy, the crown moves free and can be screwed fully to the tube of the case.

My stem is fitted correctly with the right length.

Would like to ask what lever/part should be removed from the keyless works so the manual wind is disabled, but the seconds hack is still present?

Thank you in advance

Thank you for the reply FxrAndy, Ceejay!

The manual wind does work, it is just that the winding resistance is quite new to me (seems high).

The movement has been on a service to change cannon pinions from H2 to H3 heights.

The watchmaker didn´t mention that anything is wrong with the movement.

Who knows ... but it is is possible to hand wind for sure ...

I see the castle wheel has specific teeth that engage a corresponding wheel in the keyless, if that other wheel is turned in the opposite side the castle wheel would not be engaged in the 0 position (handwind position) ...

It would be too much risk to do this change ... I would leave it as it was meant to be for now.

Edited by blue.

If you are feeling resistance when screwing the crown down then

A the crown plunger is not working as it should screw down and disengage so it is not turning the stem

B if you are feeling resistance when fully would like you would on a hand wind then you have a problem with the main spring barrel, a fully wound auto spring will slip so you will never feel a lot if resistance

You are attempting to fix a symptom not the real problem

Hmm, maybe it is something with "B", FxrAndy. Thanks for the opinions!

Got to consult my watchmaker regarding this topic.

It indeed feels like something is not winding correctly inside when screwing the crown in, metal rubbing on metal  (even when the movement is not cased).

Update

Yesterday I had the opportunity to consult my watchmaker, who is working inside a boutique, Authorized Dealer for Tudors, Pam´s, Omega´s ... you name it.

They told me everything is correct as it is and then he took off his Panerai and invited to test the winding resistance. It is no comparison to the ETA 2824 but, at least there was some winding resistance...

A side note, I certainly would not bring rep parts or watches to such AD watchmaker. What I had brought was just the genuine ETA movement, nothing more.

They had a tiny grin in their face, probably because they have not seen any customer bringing a naked movement with the correct ETA parts (cannon pinions in different sizes) asking for replacement of parts etc.

All they service and repair are high end watches that are being sold in that boutique.

Thank you everyone for the opinions!

• 6 months later...

my clone has a little resistance when its wound but itll keep winding. def gets a little stiff.

not sure what the problem could be honestly but if your watchsmith says everythings ok, then i wouldnt worry.

just leave the crown screwed down as much as you can.

i typically try to rotate my watches so none of them ever need to be reset. easy to do when i only have 4 Auto watches though.