When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Black Bay (v1) by ZF. First impressions (pictures)

slask111

Just received this watch a few hours ago. Had to post a few pics and first impression thoughts. 

Now i cant compare this to a gen, so all observations are general. I compare fit/finish against other reps like Pam111 and SOSF v2.

Bracelet:
Was very "rattely" upon arrival. I soaked it in Rock n Roll lube and washed it off. Now if feels very good. No hard edges. Clasp snaps in as it should. SEL fit and endlinks are just great.

Case: 
It collects fingerprints like an iphone screen! I find myself polishing the case with my shirt all the time. The inside corners on the lugs are razor sharp. Maybe its possible to sand thoose down. Otherwise the case is good, sits great on the wrist.

Crystal:
AR is good. Better than my Noob 111, but not as good as the SOSF v2. Its raised but i don't think its as doomed as the gen. I think.. 

Color hands/indexmarkers:
We know they are not the same color. But you wont notice this on the wrist. This is a non issue.

Dial:
Just great. Pure class and good execution.

Bezel and pearl:
Biggest letdown of the watch. It turns pretty easy, but its a 60 click bezel. Maybe it should be like that, but im so used to 120 click bezels so it feel strange. It also feels "sheap" when you turn it, it has a bit of play and the pearl does not center 12 marker with a click. Its between clicks if you know what i mean. pearl is centered and looks good. I know an updated pearl will be released, i don't see any reason to change this pearl. A non issue for me.

Conclusion:
I have waited for this watch for over a year. Been following the RG thread daily. I had high expectations. But when my boss bought the gen i told myself that this would be a C&R. But im not so sure anymore. Its a stunning watch with a lot of character. The grey dial and gold hand is just purse sex. Its a small watch, but wears pretty big. This is something ppl notice. The feel of the watch is very good, im starting to really love it. I highly recommend this watch. Go get it smile.png

Now on to the pics.

_SAM8179.jpg

_SAM8189.jpg

_SAM8194.jpg

_SAM8209.jpg

_SAM8211.jpg

_SAM8214.jpg

_SAM8170.jpg

• Like 3

Good review! Mine is in route and should be here Thursday.

Mike, I was thinking about buying the gen too...in fact I went to the AD a few weeks ago....I was little surprised with the bracelet and clasp ....it has a Rolex feel but reminded me of a citizen or seiko implementation......with that said the dial and crystal were amazing. The overall finishing was top notch.

I'm jazzed to see the rep and how it compares!

Thanks slask, seen them elsewhere but our first one here. :notworthy:  Been toying with having a big sale and buying a Gen but now maybe not :g::unknw: ?

Well wear in good health!

PS dial brown not grey right?

Thnx Mike :)

I will compare it to a gen later this week, my boss at the desk next to me has one on bracelet. The crystal is the biggest tell i believe. The rep is not as doomed as the gen (i will confirm this later) 

Brown, black, grey. It changes depending on the light. And my eyesight is not the best so could be that as well  ;)

Regardless of the flaws, this seems to be one beautiful watch that is going to be owned by many repcollectors in a couple of months.

I will most likely buy one later on aswell. It is one sexy watch with that dail, hands and bezel combo! :)

Great pics by the way! thank you for sharing! :)

Thanks a lot for the review and the pictures. Have been waiting for this one to appear in members pics because it´s quite expensive imho for the Asian movement. The look of it has been growing on me though for the last few weeks. And it looks terrificly well in Your pictures too. Movement and timekeeping are ok on this one? 60 - clicks bezel sounds strange. Waiting for the comparison and please some lumeshots too:) Wear it well, it´s classic and beautiful, quite special.

Thanks a lot for the review and the pictures. Have been waiting for this one to appear in members pics because it´s quite expensive imho for the Asian movement. The look of it has been growing on me though for the last few weeks. And it looks terrificly well in Your pictures too. Movement and timekeeping are ok on this one? 60 - clicks bezel sounds strange. Waiting for the comparison and please some lumeshots too:) Wear it well, it´s classic and beautiful, quite special.

Hi,

Its a great watch. Comfy on the wrist and stunning to look at. The movement is a A2824-2 clone, its reliable. No worries. 

The GEN uses a 60 click bezel also, and its known to be a little light as well. So no worries. I was wrong in my first statement. 

This is my watch (qc) pic:

IMG_2030.JPG

Edited by slask111

Mine is on on its stop over in the uk ! im thinking of upgrading mine later to gen 2892-2 and a plexy crystal with a correct shape dome or mabe i will like it as it comes  :)

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the review, just got my black bay this afternoon and compared it with a gen black bay purchased last year,  there a 2 major problems still need to get fixed, 

first is the pearl, 

the shape of the repro pearl is different with the gen one

the repro pearl:

the gen pearl:

the font on the case back is also need to be a bit narrow

the repro

the gen:

the bracelet also need a lot of improvements, but certainly we can use a fabric strap to replace it.

post-49878-0-46637800-1392027483.jpg

post-49878-0-79634100-1392027509_thumb.j

post-49878-0-04295100-1392027534_thumb.j

post-49878-0-12047100-1392027718_thumb.j

post-49878-0-28147600-1392027747_thumb.j

post-49878-0-15665200-1392028765_thumb.j

Edited by sigfrieds