When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC 3799- A7750 Chronograph Problems?

Paneriwc321

Hi all,

I just got the package with the IW3799 in the mail today- excited, of course, as all of you have already experienced :)

Upon opening and inspecting, all "cosmetic" aspects were more (better) than expected. However, the chronograph seems to have a problem.  It starts/stops wonderfully, however, when trying to reset- it won't budge (that is, the chronograph seconds hand). Only after trying multiple times, of course not forcefully, but with different amounts of pressure, does the second hand indeed reset. It also sometimes jumps backwards a few "seconds" on the dial when resetting, as if it were stuck and/or the pusher does not quite contact to the appropriate parts.

I am not one of the experts in respect to rep. (asian) movements, and so, I really need the help of those of you out there that are.

Has anyone seen this "phenomenon"? Is it simply a case of poor movement oiling, or is this a real hardware problem? The chrono is resetted at the moment, will it prove fatal if I use it again?

On another note, if this is something that can be only solved with a completely new movement, is there a possibility that I use the A7750 Valjoux movement on a rep. PAM Chrono and simply switch movements? (seeing as there is no "hours" chromo sundial on the Pam- I hope I assume correctly that the function is just not displayed on the dial).

Thanks a lot for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

How you reset it? Will you try resetting moving hand? That is big NO NO.

First,  if second hand running, press once again upper button, secong hand will stop. Then press lower reset button.

Better is to do reset is  second hand is near 10 o`cloco or so. Not when hand is 13:00 14.00 15.00 o clock, Distance between hand and 12.00 as to be short as possible.

+1 to what sul said

In fact, try not engage the chrono unnecessarily.. even on genuine watches, they could be a delicate part of the watch.

I have witnessed a genuine AP ROO gets its chrono function damaged when the silly owner forgot to stop the chrono before pressing the reset button.

a7750's and valjoux 7750's have some sensitive design elements and parts. Some parts were modified and added in the newer valjoux 7750's to help with issues like the date setting though. The Asian versions all seem to follow the original design.

Edited by mosyzlak