When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Black Bay - just received

fraggle42

Various close ups of the dial and hands

post-50255-0-08078000-1391031791_thumb.j

post-50255-0-12403500-1391031790_thumb.j

post-50255-0-82395000-1391031791_thumb.j

post-50255-0-11469600-1391031793_thumb.j

post-50255-0-83604900-1391031793_thumb.j

post-50255-0-59998500-1391031794_thumb.j

Crown

post-50255-0-44712600-1391031808_thumb.j

post-50255-0-18963200-1391031809_thumb.j

Bracelet clasp

post-50255-0-39985400-1391031795_thumb.j

post-50255-0-09605300-1391031796_thumb.j

post-50255-0-83068000-1391031796_thumb.j

Case back and SELs

post-50255-0-55624800-1391031797_thumb.j

post-50255-0-25720400-1391031806_thumb.j

post-50255-0-97716300-1391031806_thumb.j

post-50255-0-75099700-1391031807_thumb.j

My thoughts on it so far; overall it is a very, very nice rep. the dial is lovely, as are the hands. The talk about being able to see the difference in the gold colouring of the hands and the dial markers - I can't see it in the flesh. Maybe there is a slight difference in the colour of the lume (in daylight) but it's more obvious in pictures than in real life.

Bracelet is lovely and solid. SELs fit  snugly. Clasp is nice and positive - if anything it's a little too tight to undo the main clasp.

Like a lot of other people have commented, the bezel is slack (side to side movement) and the ratches is "almost not there", and this is the major negative.

Downsides i've noticed:-

* Bezel, weak click spring, side to side movement (a user has taken up the slack with a piece of coke can cut to a washer shape and has reported a huge improvement)

* Clasp - a bit tight to open, but with wear it will become just perfect. Also if you look at the clasp image showing the three holes for the micro adjustment, I think these holes are a fraction too small and the spring pin doesn't seem to fit into them properly - a bit of a concern as if the spring pin comes out, the watch may drop off your wrist.

* Crown - it has approximately 1 turn from thread engaging to screwed down - not much and I hope it's not another Omega PO crown thread disaster - a little bit of TLC, smoothing the threads and a touch of grease to try to enhance their longevity will be a good thing.

* Bracelet screws - This is really the norm for any rep bracelets with screw in pins. They're made with low tolerances, and so as soon as the pin has been screwed into a bracelet section, they'll force the threads on both parts so they "mate" with each other. If you are careful and put the pin back into the segment it came out of, it goes back in nicely and without any problem. Mix the pins up and force them in and I bet the threads will strip very quickly. Just common sense really.

Overall : I really like it. Very good job, and for the price, a damn good watch!

I see what people are saying about the distortion along the edge of the crystal, but that is literally a marginal criticism.  Beautiful rep!

By the way, does anyone know if the Tudor Rose logo on the crown is actually engraved on the gen?  I always thought the design was only on the surface!

If the bezel is so flawed, why does Angus insist "The vey first 1:1 Tudor replica in the history - Hertitage Black Bay. 1:1 replicated from a genuine sample, made by the rising new Z-Factory." What exactly does 1:1 mean?

Mine is on it's way, but I'm disappointed by this bezel. Oh well, time for me to get some dental floss.

Edited by superlative

What a watch! (equally the gen and the rep)

I recently had the chance to see the gen at my local AD and was impressed by the dial look and feel.

It felt a bit vintage yet contemporary, referring to the dial colour and matte texture.

Though I am missing a date complication. Wish the BB had a Date version like the Pelagos for example.

The gen seemed quite (somewhat) affordable by 2380 € ... if you compare to a gen DJ 16030 with papers from the 80´s, it costs that much and has all the 30+ years ageing on the case and bracelet.

But then if you rethink the overall package of the BB ... inside is ticking an ETA 2824 with a little cosmetic touch on the finish, nothing more ... the service costs shouldn´t be that much high?!

P.S. I have always been interested if the price for a watch service (movement only, clean re-lube) depends on from what price range the watch is ...

Interesting how much a service of the gen Black Bay would cost?

And then how much the service on a mid price range ETA 2824 based watch, without date complication would cost?

looks good!

theres a side X side comparison with the GEN on RWI

correction, this watch looks DAMN GOOD!

gen on the left

(not my pics)

2.jpg

HH - Are you sure that the gen is on the left?  Look at the pearls.  The one on the left is just like the OPs watch above.  The pearl on the right looks like the gen pearl below (From General Discussion area).  Wow...what a rep.

tudor-black-bay-4.jpg

• Like 1

Yes the gen is on the left.

Cronus4, they come from Angus, Puretime.

What does 1:1 mean? I'm just a relative newbie, but my understanding is a 1:1 rep is one where you can swap parts for gen ones and they will fit. They will still have flaws, how can they not when this watch costs $320 and the gen costs $2000? But they are a heck of a lot closer to gen than they ever where.

Look here, people are still arguing over which is the rep and which is the gen in the photo above :)

• Like 1

Why do we have to do a forensic analysis ,this is an out of the box 320usd rep of a 3,???? usd rep, lets accept the watch and enjoy it ! the rep is not made by tudor so it can never be exact 1-1 it is a super rep that is damn close to the gen !

and the chances of meeting someone in our daily lives that will call you out, is very very slim ,i see the photos here of the gen with the rep and although i have not received my black bay yet i am impressed  by the replication as we know they spent a long time and effort in this replication ! i think it is a lot of watch for 300usd ! Enjoy wear your blackbay and forget about the gen i am sure that some who have thought about buying a gen BB will buy the rep instead and save some serious $$$$s !!!!

Edited by aeromatic
  • Like 1

The Gen is nothing more than a piece of metal with some paint that uses an ordinary off-the-shelf Swiss movement. There's nothing special about it that allows it to command a $3K. I really don't see what's stopping the rep factories from making a true 1:1 rep of this watch. They didn't even get the crystal right!

Edited by superlative

Speaking as a gen owner, the gen has a rolex level of detail execution for a fraction of the price. Perfect engineering throughout (bar fairly standard movement). Hard to replicate these very precise minute details, of course. The gen is worth the money if you have surplus cash, but the rep looks like a brilliant attempt and would probably satisfy ones BB itch at a fraction of the price.

• Like 1

The Gen is nothing more than a piece of metal with some paint that uses an ordinary off-the-shelf Swiss movement. [/ quote ]

Technically a true statement of many premium watches. The movement in the Tudor while a standard design is far from off the shelf. They are highly reworked and are super smooth in operation. So yes they are an ETA but they are not a direct drop in from the ETA factory.

There is nothing bad about Tudor and there movements! Qualety is high!

I was so looking forward to this one when it came out (gen that is) but when i hold it my hands it feelt all wrong, kinda light, to thick case, no lugholes, and when using a leather/nato strap this watch looks funny becuse the springbars are way to far down giving a huge gap bettwen the strap and case it just looks funny!

I love Eta movements ! I have 2836-2 ,2846s, 2824-2s 2784 , 2472,2451 and 2892-2 and they run well ,the 2451 is an early 60s movement and is still ticking strong !!! my Blackbay (when it arrives ) will be my only asian eta watch apart from my moonwatch ! but i hear good reports on the asian  eta !

Edited by aeromatic