When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

This was a watch I was crazy for a while back. I was going to buy from J&W and then this appeared on the sales forum and I dropped a LOT of money (I shouldn't have) on it...

It's the Vietnam case with gen valjoux 72 movement, with correct assymetrical gen screw in pushers and tube and crown. Raised crystal (can't remember if this is gen?), old school bracelet.. and I love the red dial, definitely different. I also have the white dial with black subdials.  I guess the chase was the big thing for me as it's quite small for me but it looks lovely!

Here are some pics:

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

I really want to share in your enthusiasm for this, but it just has too many problems. For starters, the dial (which looks like 1 of J&W's), especially in such a mythic (or, possibly, fantasy) model is just wrong. The coronet looks like it was carved (not too successfully) by hand, the subdials are too small & spacing is off, the fonts are wrong (most notably the 3 in the minute counter). The xtal is either not fully seated or is aftermarket (looks too tall, but could simply be a visual anomaly), the crown looks aftermarket, the chrono seconds hand is black (should match the hour/minute hands) & the clasp looks fake.

Here is a gen for reference

RedDaytona.jpg

I'm pretty sure the dial is probably J&W or some such... I have the white dial (I think also J&W) with with black subdials too... but I like having the red dial :) I can't remember about the hands, perhaps they are a better fit for the white dial ! Great dials are hard to find for these and I'm out of money, sadly :(

Hey Chronus, it's a beauty. If it strikes your fancy, wear it with pride! If it was up to me I'd replace the tropic 21 with a nice dome... in fact I probably have one here I'm not using if you want it.