When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Important Bergies announcement.

KB

Ken,

" Not when you are dealing world wide there's not." I agree but what juicemouse said above is true "The only people that use Western Union in the United States are people who send money to jails and prisons." and illegals and green carders sending money to foreign countries, it has a stigma. We do not us it here we are not comfortable with it and whether right wrong or indifferent it is what it is, in my over half a century here I known no one who used it or even saw someone use it in passing at the local super market except once "I" was sent money last week. People with means use other methods and you need people with means unfortunately. I gather in other parts of the world it is more mainstream just not in the good old USA.

• Like 1

Ken,

" Not when you are dealing world wide there's not." I agree but what juicemouse said above is true "The only people that use Western Union in the United States are people who send money to jails and prisons." and illegals and green carders sending money to foreign countries, it has a stigma. We do not us it here we are not comfortable with it and whether right wrong or indifferent it is what it is, in my over half a century here I known no one who used it or even saw someone use it in passing at the local super market except once "I" was sent money last week. People with means use other methods and you need people with means unfortunately. I gather in other parts of the world it is more mainstream just not in the good old USA.

I remember seeing them in the grocery stores when I was young but I don't even see those anymore.  WU could have pioneered the online currency business but they were satisfied with the status quo.  Doesn't surprise me with 2.3M people under correctional supervision in our nation's jails and prisons.   That's a lot of commissaries!

I just used WU for Ken 's order here in USA for the first time ever.

I gotta say it's not bad , pretty quick process . No lengthy registration. All u need is Receivers Full name & Country .

Cash or Debit card.

And I learned that u can use their website to transfer money . U don't have to go to their store.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

In the UK there are quite a lot of WU counters in shops where you can go and make payments. These are usually in corner shops that sell everything in a tiny shop :)

To me WU has a stigma that not many people used it until the Nigerian scammers came along and due to that a lot of people learned about its existence but in a bad way, it was connected with scammers and always set alarm bells ringing if you saw anyone requesting payment with it.

Now I've used it a couple of times for watches (to TC and a TD) I don't mind, and I suspect I'll be using it tomorrow to pay a supplier in china through Alibaba for a few k.

It's online, the charges are a bit higher, and I believe the person you are paying the money to has to go to a physical shop with their ID to collect the money, and I believe there's no way of getting a refund if the supplier is a scammer.

But what else is there? International bank to bank payments are a total pain in the a... Bit coin is a joke IMO.

As Samhouston just stated there is no need to go to any kind of shop, just log into the WU web site.

However I should also point of that even here in Australia there is not many (if any) WU outlets, nearly all are done through the Post office or banks.

Ken