When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking to Build / Buy Datejust II Franken

jbg44

Hi All,

About nine months ago, ya'll here at RWG were kind enough to guide me through the process of building a PAM 104 franken.  I love it and wear it everyday.  Now I'm hankering for a Datejust II franken, either to build or buy/trade.  At the end of the process I'm hoping to have a SS Datejust II with fluted dial and black stick face.  I'm not particular whether the bracelet is jubilee or oyster.  My total budget is somewhere in the $1200 range.

If you're gracious enough to point me in the right direction, here are some initial questions:

- Should I start with a Thai DJII?  Is it compatible with gen parts?

- I'm thinking that I would try to go with gen dial, gen bracelet, and ETA movement?  Are these the right things to get the most bang for my buck?

- Water proofing is very important to me.  Do you think I will be able to get a 3-5 ATM seal on a franken?

Thanks for any help!

OK.  I now have my Thai Datejust II on order.  In pursuit of my franken dream, I wanted to put out some feelers and see if anyone has a line on any of these gen parts:

- gen black, stick dial

- gen oyster bracelet (21mm at the lugs)

- gen fluted bezel

Thanks all!

Well, this is gonna be expensive.

I saw a DJII Dial some time ago for sale.

It was priced at 800€.

And I think the bracelet definately will cost more than 1000€.

The Gen fluted bezel is Made of whitegold.

So it's extremely expensive too.

Furthermore it is almost impossible zu find these parts.

Edited by Max_JCW

Where are you going to find Rolex parts for a brand new model watch, since Rolex doesn't sell them without getting the old part back in exchange? There's not going to be hardly any used parts available and new ones are way too expensive.

Trying to franken a DJ2 is a fools errand when nobody even knows if any of the gen parts will fit, which I doubt.

Thanks for the feedback. I have owned some nice gens (DS, 36mm DJ), but I can't explain it -- frankens have more appeal to me. In this case, it's not a financial decision.

Regarding the lack of available parts: This is kinda why I want to do it, for the challenge. BTW, today I got a lead on a gen bracelet out of Germany.

Anyway, as they say, there is no accounting for taste. . . Just wondering if anyone had any of the mentioned parts they wanted to sell.