When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Series Cannon Pinion Height

Grimlocktime

Thanks Rolli and w0lf.

Is it ridiculous for me to assume that the – 1 and – 2 hour wheels are interchangeable?

This is kind of funny. I jumped the gun and took an H1 hour wheel to a jeweler to be gold plated. Only cost $10. It's a decent option for those that already have the correct HW

note:  gen dials and our dials have a thickness of 0,98 - 1,0 mm

h3 is the only possible to have a tasteful handset distance to the dial.

don't use different extension gears.

rolli

Agreed, the 10A dial I just purchased is very thick and the H2 will offer minimal clearance.  But isn't that that A Series Panerai style?  The minute hands on photos I have studied, look VERY close to the dial.

what is the problem,

from beginning to collect pams my watchmaker used H3.

i was never in doubt it could be the wrong decision.

h3 is always good.

the old FGD dials with back plate got h3, because between the dials made my watchmaker a thin foil, that the dials thickness became 1,0 mm.

i never thought about it, whether it is perfect to use H2 mixed with H3.

H3 is always standard with me.

and always better is, to keep attention to polish the cannon pinion tip.

the omly thing is, that my watchmaker had to shorten the minute hand-tube,

otherwise the minute hand came not deep enough on the cannon pinion that the polished top is accurate plane with the minute hand on top.

so.. the minute hand came a bit nearer to the hour hand.

and this could be that the meaning is, ohh here could be a mix of H2 + H3.

no complete H3.

in the watchmaking is always given the possibilty to make the one or other reworking to get the final wished result.

regards

rolli

• 3 weeks later...

The difference between H2 and H3 cp is 0.15mm. It doesn't matter what combination of pinions you use if your specific handset clears your specific dial and each other. Customarily, you either want to have the same pinion size throughout or to go up in height from the hand that's closest to the dial (H2 HW w/ H3 CP), but that should be obvious. It can also end up looking off with too much of a gap between hands as is the case with H1 HW w/ H3 CP.  However, none of this is set in stone, for example if the minute hand tube is tall enough you can fit H3 HW with H2 CP but I would not recommend it.

Two things:

- There is no gold plated H3 hour wheel part for high beat movements that I can find, and all OPI,OPII,OPX & OPXI calibers have a gold-plated HW.  It doesn't mean that gold plated H3 doesn't exist, but none of the European or US based shops I checked (Boley, Beco, JB, Ofrei, Startime, Casker, etc.)  have it in their catalogs and it's also not shown in ETA documentation.

- I worked on OPII and OPXI movements that had H2 sets in them.  Again, it doesn't mean that all pieces will be H2, just that OP does use H2.

The difference between H2 and H3 cp is 0.15mm. It doesn't matter what combination of pinions you use if your specific handset clears your specific dial and each other. Customarily, you either want to have the same pinion size throughout or to go up in height from the hand that's closest to the dial (H2 HW w/ H3 CP), but that should be obvious. It can also end up looking off with too much of a gap between hands as is the case with H1 HW w/ H3 CP.  However, none of this is set in stone, for example if the minute hand tube is tall enough you can fit H3 HW with H2 CP but I would not recommend it.

Two things:

- There is no gold plated H3 hour wheel part for high beat movements that I can find, and all OPI,OPII,OPX & OPXI calibers have a gold-plated HW.  It doesn't mean that gold plated H3 doesn't exist, but none of the European or US based shops I checked (Boley, Beco, JB, Ofrei, Startime, Casker, etc.)  have it in their catalogs and it's also not shown in ETA documentation.

- I worked on OPII and OPXI movements that had H2 sets in them.  Again, it doesn't mean that all pieces will be H2, just that OP does use H2.

This is awesome w0lf.  Thanks! 

I ended up purchasing a few H2 sets and taking the hour wheels to a local jeweler for gold plating...$10 and 2 minutes later, I now have a gold plated hour wheel:)  My movement should arrive from Marlin tomorrow.  I will be assembling tomorrow night!

Edited by Grimlocktime